How to best clean mold & mildew off vinyl siding?

+3

Every year we power wash our whole house and that lasts a few weeks before weneed to do it again. Beige vinyl siding looks unsightly in a short time.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 04, 2019

I've recently started using wet & forget outdoor. It helps to inhibit the "yuck" and I have the same siding. I tested it in a small section between the garage and the corner that is the worst for algae build up and it has held up well. It is sold at walmart.com, Lowe's, and QVC. There's a great video on QVC. You can get it in concentrate, that's what I did.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Feb 04, 2019

Hello, Sometimes it’s an ongoing continuous process. We live in a humid moist micro climate where mold mildew collect quite easily. Power washing seems to be the answer.

• Oliva Oliva on Feb 05, 2019

It can be cleaned with lemon liquid dish detergent (avoid the ones with "Grease removers, as they can damage the vinyl finish, over time) and hot water. You can scrub surfaces with a long handled, telescoping pole and a microfiber or terry cloth cover. Rinse your cover between areas to avoid spreading mildew and mold.

Once an area is scrubbed, rise from the top down, and avoid forcing water under the vinyl layers. Using a second dry microfiber or terry cloth head, dry the surfaces as best you can, knowing you'll need a number of cloths.

You may want to research the use of distilled white vinegar as a spray on your well scrubbed and dried vinyl, to slow the mold/mildew return.

Alternatively, on another overcast day with no chance of rain for 5 hours, spray Wet n'Forget liberally on the vinyl surfaces. It should lengthen the time between needed scrubbings.

If your vinyl has evidence of artillery fungus, you may need to carefully scrub these areas, using your fingernail, inside a soft wet cloth.

If your home has hardwood mulch within 20 ' of your home, it is contributing to your mold/mildew problem on the vinyl. If you check closely, you may find evidence of it at 2nd story level of your home...even on your glass panes. Try waxing any vinyl cladding on windows, to make it more difficult for spores to adhere.

• There are several ways to get rid of mold, but most importantly, you need to address the root cause to keep it from returning. This article focuses on the bathroom, but is an overall great article that covers methods of how to remove mold, if bleach is safe to use, and how to prevent it from coming back. Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/mold-in-the-shower/

• Alice Bailey Alice Bailey on Feb 05, 2019

Use a magic eraser...I use them on my siding ...

• Pamela Pamela on Feb 05, 2019

Hi ! In the reachable areas I use magic eraser ! I bought a product from Costco called wet it and forget it ... This is not only supposed to get rid of mold / mildew , but also helps to inhibit it from coming back. On its instructions it said it doesn't work immediately, but over time . It worked on my siding and concrete ! Another thing you can do , is look at where it's happening , sometimes all you have to do is trim the trees in the area to let more Sun get to the area . Good luck !