How do you make your drywall walls look like Knockdown Plaster?

by C
I had a handyman fill in the large opening in my living room wall between he dining room & living room. Now I need to get this new drywall to look like the finished walls in the rest of my house. They did something called "Knockdown" plaster. I am not familiar with this at all and have no idea how to achieve this look.
What Knockdown looks like.
  10 answers
  • Carol Scotece Armstrong Carol Scotece Armstrong on Apr 18, 2017

    Why would you want to do this?? It is one of the most difficult surfaces, other than faux suede, to maintain. It is created by using a watered down mixture of drywall compound or plaster, sprayed on the wall, allowed to dry slightly, then the hills are knocked down with a long trowel by a few very people who are any good at it. It's nearly impossible to replicate once completed. Maybe consider a less complicated surface texture?

    • C C on May 08, 2017

      My whole house is done in this texture. It isn't a matter of wanting it, it's a matter of matching what is already there.

  • Karen Brunck Karen Brunck on Apr 19, 2017

    Home depot sells cans of spray plaster. Spray the entire area and slightly outside into the preexisting area. Use a large flat trowel and gently swipe it across the bumps to flatten them. It is quite easy. Let dry, prime, then paint.

    • See 1 previous
    • C C on May 08, 2017

      Thank you. That is exactly what I did. It isn't perfect but doesn't show up like a sore thumb in the middle of a 'knock down plaster' wall.

  • Terri Terri on Apr 19, 2017

    Before I enlarged your photo (old eyes), I thought the wall was already a barn board or shiplap type surface. Maybe an accent wall there would be better and/or easier that matching the knockdown plaster.

  • Esther Esther on Apr 19, 2017

    The website has a great tutorial. She has both a video & written instructions. I used it to make repairs to an office wall. Give it a try; you can just do a test area first!

  • C C on May 08, 2017

    Thank you. I will check it out.

  • Carol Scotece Armstrong Carol Scotece Armstrong on May 08, 2017

    Lol sorry, went back to read the original post. Unfortunately, what I said about being able to replicate it still stands. I have the same issue, having to repair water damage in our heavy knockdown. Still haven't found the expert I'll need. It really is a pain, and unless you are very, very good at it, the repair will always be obvious. Maybe consider re-texturing the entire wall with something easier to duplicate or repair like orange peel.

  • C C on May 08, 2017

    Carol, my home is an "Open Concept". There isn't just one room but if I were to re-texture the entire wall, it would encompass the Diningroom, hallway,family room and kitchen not to mention the whole ceilings! OMG! What a nightmare that would be.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 07, 2023

    Call in a Plasterer to do the job for you! He should make it look almost seamless. If you really want to do it yourself try using ready mixed plaster or spackle.

  • Mogie Mogie on Apr 13, 2023

    I know they make spray splasters in an orange peel finish I would assume they make it in a knock down plaster finish also. Have you contacted Lowes?

  • C C on Apr 15, 2023

    Carol, I am a widow and on a broken income (nothing fixed about it). Do you have any idea how much that would cost me? It’s taken me 6 years to pay for replaced 4 ton & t ton air conditioners and to remove all carpet and install laminent flooring! I would love to follow your suggestion bot somehow at 78 yrs young, I don’t think it’s going to happen.