How long does it take for the E6000 smell to go away?

+11
I keep reading that E6000 is the preferred adhesive for many projects. So, I used it on two sculptures that I worked with on my patio where there was lots of ventilation. However, I went out today to admire my handiwork and had to go back in right away because of the odor. The patio reeks!!! I can't take these to a craft fair or even bring them inside the house!! ! What should I do?
  • Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on Jun 21, 2017
    I did some research and they all say 72 hours. Some won't use it again because of that. I did a google search that was as basic as you can get. "What is the best non-smelly glue" and got this. Hope that helps.

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jun 21, 2017
    Open the windows ? I don't know how much you used, but I have used E6000 inside my home and never had a problem with the fumes .

• Wow, I have not had that experience with E6000. Once it is dried, I don't smell it. Are your pieces in the sun that maybe it is being heated and releasing more odor?

• KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on Jun 21, 2017
    I have read several short articles about E6000 (which by the way I've decided NOT to purchase for the crafts I was thinking aobut doing). Most of them say that even after [several days - a week] after being used there is still an odor.! AND to make matters worse it can cause a lot of health issues if you are exposed to it very often because of the Tetrachloroethylene it contains. This is a post from Jenhai at a site called bountifulbaby which has clinched my stand to never buy E6000 and I am warning my family members about it too .........

"E6000 is extremely toxic. The warning on the back of the tube states: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. Harmful if inhaled or swallowed. May cause dizziness, headache or nausea. Can cause skin and eye irritation.Exposure may cause damage to the kidneys or liver.Cancer agent based on experimental data. Keep away from heat and flame. Contact with flame or hot surface may cause toxic gases. Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid breathing vapor, open ALL windows and doors to assure fresh air movement during application and drying. When using, do not eat, drink or smoke. Avoid prolonged or repeated contact with skin. Wash thoroughly after handling.
    FIRST AID: If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical assistance immediately. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting; get medical assistance. In case of eye contact, immediately flush eye with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. For further health information, contact a poison control center."
    I'm not taking any chances. I'm sticking (no pun intended) with Aleene's.

So there you have it .... it stinks in more ways than one, and no one I know or have read comments from knows how long it takes for the stink to go away ... we may have to wait until it stops being sold ;) Therese, I am So Very Sorry about your crafts :( Thank you for choosing Hometalk to get your answer. I wish I could have told you something more positive.

• Ruth Ruth on Jun 21, 2017
    I used it and it took a couple of days.

• Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Jun 22, 2017
    Interesting, I have used it on small things inside the house and have never been bothered by the smell.

• Barbara Baldwin Barbara Baldwin on Nov 06, 2017
    Unicorn spit is doing the same to me. It was painted weeks ago. Smells like burnt beans

• Mis Burbes Mis Burbes on Jan 04, 2019

Girl! I can never stop smelling it! I'm like you. Cannot stand it.

• MINIgirl MINIgirl on Aug 14, 2020

I purchased 3 pieces from a crafter (3 platter pieces that were glued to another piece used as a stand). The first night with 2 in house, I woke in the middle of the might thinking I smelled burning wood. Couldn't locate the cause. Smelled the pieces and though it had light smell, not harsh enough to fill the upper level. Two days later, after smelling this constantly, especially when coming inside from outdoors, I moved both pieces outside. Next day, no scent or smell in home. Go out to deck, smell the smell again. It has to be the glue. Not sure when the crafter designed these pieces. Will contact her for assist, because I wanted at least one piece inside and not sure when this smell will go away. My husband, however, smells nothing. Go figure!

• Wade Wade on Dec 01, 2020

I used the E6000 stuff to put together a wooden cable car for my son that got smashed falling down the stairs. For the past 2 weeks I've been catching whiffs of what my wife described as asparagus pee smell. We all ate some about 2 weeks ago and we have a baby so therefore have a diaper pail. The pail has been emptied several times and even cleaned out because I thought it was the cause. Nope. The stink is definately coming from that little cable car that took about 1/4 tube of E6000 to reassemble. The glue works great but I won't be in using it on toys for my kids anymore.