Contractor did bad work what should I do?

+3
New home construction (owner builder). The sub contractor put in non pressure treated lumber on my decks which is rotting. Deck over office the roof caved in. Door handles falling off. All drywall has nails showing thru the paint. Rain soaked my IPE flooring. Need to replace all of ceiling in office and fix or replace floors.

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Dec 29, 2017
    if you are still under a contract contact the builder. If he won’t help you call your local news

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 29, 2017
    Call them back to re-do the work.If you do not get any satisfaction contact your local news media,Better Business,bureau etc.

• Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Dec 29, 2017
    How long have you lived there? Have you contacted the builder? There should be a warranty on things like that

• Ken Ken on Dec 29, 2017
    I'd suggest going to your community's code enforcement officer. Did you have a building inspection done when you bought the house? Those people may not be the ones to help but they, along with your realtor, should be able to point you in the right direction.

Sounds like there were no building permits and no inspections. Ann is right about contacting local news outlets if those contacts fail.

Your last, very last, option should be a lawyer. When you deal with a lawyer everyone loses but the lawyer. You may be able to get the other fellow to lose more than you and have to decide if it's worth it.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 29, 2017
    Take pictures of everything! If it is a new home - a year or less, there should be a builder's warranty. Check with your insurance company. They may go after him.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 29, 2017
    So sorry for your problems. All the above answers should be helpful but I would definitely get in touch with the contractor and see if he will rectify because it will more than likely cost him less than an appearance in court if you are within the timeline.