How can I make the floor of an addition warmer without heated floors?

+4
There is a stepdown into the addition. It is above crawl space.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 14, 2017
    Independant heaters

• Cindy Corean Cindy Corean on Dec 14, 2017
    Use an area rug during the coldest time of year, then roll it up and stash it away for the rest of the year.

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 14, 2017
    Throw rugs. Wear socks. Add a nice fire place for some added warmth.

• Amanda Amanda on Dec 14, 2017
    Yes a heater would work. I have a large bedroom that was added on that is so cold. I purchase a electric fireplace that I run in winter. If the addition is not carpeted adding rugs would help too.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 14, 2017
    The floor of the addition may not be insulated... and since you have access thru the crawl space.... you can insulate it... not really easily, but it CAN be done... that should help make the space less cold.
    The other thing you can do is build a floor on top of the existing one deep enough to insulate that space.... but in floor heating is really the best option.

• Phil Phil on Dec 14, 2017
    did you insulate the crawl space? And what about the skirting around that room? Is there any?

• How was the addition insulated during the building phase? Was the addition built to code? Since you have crawl space, I would insulate underneath and beef up the attic insulation too. Put down rugs, get a space heater and have plenty of throws and pillows handy. Call your energy provider, they can give you a free inspection and make suggestions to keep the room warm in winter and cool in summer. Good luck!