How to remove peel and stick tile from a plywood floor?

+3
  • Cindy Cindy on Jan 06, 2018
    Hi Tracy, I researched this exact topic a few days ago for a Hometalker. I found that some people use a garden hoe to get the tiles up. That sounded like the best way because you can stand and work. Other people used ice scrapers to get their tiles up. This would have to be done on your hands and knees. Before committing to either method, try running a butter knife under a corner tile. It might just come up for you. It depends on how much adhesive is under your tiles and how old it is. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on Jan 06, 2018
    You may want to try an use a heat gun and a metal paint scraper. Heat and scrape.

• Suzette Suzette on Jan 07, 2018
    Hi Tracy, Here's a how to video that may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xZv3U1408g

Good luck!

• Shoshana Shoshana on Jan 07, 2018
    Mix 1 gallon of water and 1 ounce of dishwashing liquid in the bucket. Pour the dishwashing mixture into the spray bottle. Put on your safety glasses and gloves. Spray the dishwashing liquid mixture onto an area equal to the size of one tile. Let it sit to soften the adhesive for a few minutes. Use the putty knife to scrape the residue and place it into the trash bag. By scraping in one direction, the adhesive should roll up onto the surface of the putty knife. Wipe the putty knife down with paper towels or a soft cloth. Repeat the process for the entire floor. Vacuum any residue that is left and check the subfloor to confirm all adhesive is removed. Before you install a new floor covering, let the subfloor completely dry to the touch.

• Bar7387723 Bar7387723 on Jan 08, 2018
    I used a blow dryer on mine works great just heat and pull up.