How to remove silicone residue from fiberglass tub?

+10
I removed the shower door from my fiberglass tub and cannot remove the silicone residue- I have scraped and scrubbed and bleached and used every cleaner out there but it won't come off; almost like it "sunk in" to the finish...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
q how to remove silicone residue from fiberglass tub
  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 16, 2017
    I would try a plastic putty knife ( metal might scratch if youre not careful) and maybe a hairdryer. Its a very tedious job some sources recommend a sharp utility knife Or thin angled razor.

See below

• Home Depot or Lowe's

• Huntress Huntress on Dec 16, 2017
    Id try rubbing alcohol. Soak a rag and let it sit on the yucky. Don't breathe it in using a large amount. Let it sit , should loosen it up to scrape carefully with a razor. Don't force, if needed ,repeat. I did it on a sink edge with silicone, worked with no problem. I left it on for 24 hours restocking the rag as I went. Didn't seem to bother the porcelain, like you I had tried everything else. Just go easy and check before you wet the rag. Like I said, be careful as u don't want to breathe it in when it pour on the rag. It seems to soften it and make removal easier. Someone suggested nail polish remover, but I know that removes enamel polish so I was worried about it marring the porcelain.

• KarenV KarenV on Dec 16, 2017
    Tried that too

• KarenV KarenV on Dec 16, 2017
    Thank you all..going to soak in mineral spirits and see if that works!

• Deeunichic Deeunichic on Dec 16, 2017
    have you tried a new/sharp razor blade.

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 16, 2017
    There is a product called Motsenbockers Lift Off Adhesive Remover. You can get it at Home Depot or Menards and it works really good at removing silicone residue. And, check this out!, if you read the label and make sure it's the one that's safe for plastics, you can use it and one of those eraser sponges and take most of the grunge off of your car headlights! Spray the sponge and apply to the headlight. You have to let it sit for about 20 seconds and then scrub the headlight. After you're finished, put on Rainex or spray wax to help keep the lights free from road crud. The product costs about $5.00 for about 4.5 ounces, which is really a lot. Go to Home Depot or Menards website and check out this product. They don't say anything about the headlight cleaning though:) Just something I discovered after trying everything else. Good luck with your tub:) Oh, there's a product called Goof Off that might work on your tub, too.

• Moorhouse Moorhouse on Dec 16, 2017
    nail polish remover