Is it worth trying to refinish hardwood floors ? Can a novice do it ?

+2
  • Micki Hartley Haubold Micki Hartley Haubold on Dec 21, 2017
    Yes, definitely. With a lot of YouTube, a rented floor sander from Home Depot and elbow grease, mine came out fantastic!!

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 21, 2017
    https://www.hometalk.com/diy/floors-ceilings/hardwood-floors-refinishing-4172416

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 21, 2017
    It depends upon the condition of the floors, and how "handy" you are. Sanders can be rented.

• Bet22249228 Bet22249228 on Dec 21, 2017
    I did not refinish my hardwood floors. I used OOOO steel wool, after cleaning the floors with Mrs. Meyers all purpose cleaner, and scrubbed them with Grapeseed Oil on the steel wool pads. A lot of work, but when the oil soaked in the floors were beautiful. I do this every six months and each time the floors look better. You need to wipe the floor as dry as possible after oiling them. You also have to like antique looks. This will not give you the look of newly installed hardwood floors. It will give you the look of beautiful wood floors well cared for - and the smell is wonderful. In-between oiling simply wipe up the floors with a rag and a little oil.

• Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Dec 21, 2017
    As long as the floors aren't too bad its not a difficult job, just labor intensive and time consuming. You need to sand the floors several times starting with a heavy grit paper and working down to a lighter grit, sand in the grain of the wood, usually longways along the board (no circular motions or cross motions as that will show in the finished product and usually looks pretty bad). Then you stain small sections. Finally, several coats of poly, letting each coat dry, then sanding with a fine sand paper, wiping them down with a damn rag to remove all debris. If you have the patience, its a great DIY project