Redo the kitchen floor where it is rotted out.?

  18 answers
  • Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Nov 16, 2020

    Hi Rita, what kind of floor do you have and do you have any photos of the rotted out area, so we can see what you are working with?

  • You’ll have to replace the rotted part. This could be quite costly. I would consider hiring a professional as it’s not really an easy DIY

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 16, 2020

    Hello Rita,

    Wet - Dry - Woodworm - Termite??? How far does it go down or across the floor? I should have a Professional or two take a look and check out what the problem is and How extensive it is. While they are there ask for a price to complete the job, Timescale and what exactly would be involved!

  • K. Rupp K. Rupp on Nov 16, 2020

    Are you talking about the subfloor rotting? You will have to pull up the entire floor (tile, whatever you have..etc) to get to the subfloor. Did you have a leak or flood? What cause the rotting?

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 16, 2020

    If the floor is rotted out, the rotting is caused by something. Call in a professional and have the source determined and fixed. Or see what it would take to fix the problem and then repair the floor.

  • on Nov 16, 2020

    Do you know what caused the rot? It’s usually water. First figure out what caused it and solve that problem. Are you in a mobile home? That can be easier to fix.

  • Determine the source of the rot. Once that is resolved, cut out the rotten area (square or rectangle) and replace with a piece of plywood (or whatever your floor is made from) cut the same size. Be sure your joists are still solid, or you'll have an even bigger job. Good luck!

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Nov 16, 2020

    Hello. Rotten wood needs to be removed and replaced as well as repairing the causes of the damage. Then the replacement can begin.

    Posting a picture of your problem might give us more information to directly address your concerns visually seeing the type of flooring and extent of damage.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 16, 2020

    There are several factors. Can you remove the flooring in just one section and replace it (such as tile)? If so, you can pull up the flooring and then cut out the sub flooring section that is rotten to the floor joists. Then replace that section of flooring. If you can't, you will have to pull up all the flooring, then replace the rotten sub flooring section and lay a new floor.

    Make sure the replacement sub flooring is a thickness match for what is there now.

  • Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Nov 16, 2020

    IS this a hardwood floor

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Nov 16, 2020

    if you have water damage you need to be sure the water issues are done before replacing the rotted subfloor -

  • Betsy Betsy on Nov 16, 2020

    Hi Rita: Any pictures? What you can do is cut out the rotted part (find out why it's rotted and address that problem) to where the floor studs are. Be careful you don't cut the studs. Then, cut the hole where you are going to make the patch so that it is 1/2 way over a stud, for stability. Measure the opening and then, get a piece of plywood the same thickness as what's down there (take a piece to the home improvement store for correct thickness, and get a piece of wood as big as the hole you cut out. They can cut your wood to the proper size sometimes. Insert the new piece and nail it to the studs and you should be good to go. I've done this before. The hard part is cutting the old wood out. If you have a small circular saw that can adjust to 1/4" deep, use that. Good luck

  • Sharon Sharon on Nov 17, 2020

    I had one of those ole time square water heaters in my kitchen, and did not know it was leaking so I had floor rot. The contractor adjusted the saw blade depth to the depth of the plywood subfloor and cut out the floor leaving the floor joists untouched. He cut a new piece of plywood and I had new flooring put in and a new water heater.

  • One idea is to move the panels to a different area in the kitchen, like move the rotted ones under your refrigerator and then move the nice ones that are under the fridge to where the rotted ones are. Or, if you get pieces and stain them, you can move the newly stained ones under the fridge, so if it isn't a perfect match, then it is hidden... and then move the perfectly matched/older ones under the fridge to where it is rotted out. We did something like this with a couple warped boards when we had a kitchen remodel done.

  • Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Nov 20, 2020

    What type of floor do you have?

  • Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Nov 21, 2020

    Hi Rita, hope this helps you fix your rotted out floor.

    How do you replace a subfloor? (With step-by-step pictures ... › home › replace-subfloor

    Aug 8, 2020 — In this story you'll see how to repair the rotted floor around a toilet. ... damage done, now it's necessary to tear out and replace the rotted wood floor. ... under the toilet, next to the vanity, under the kitchen sink or along a wall.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Nov 21, 2020

    Hi! I suggest fixing the problem that created rot, first. Often it's a leak that went undetected. Remove the flooring and damaged subfloor after you've fixed it. You can sometimes find flooring you can use to patch under the refrigerator. Closets and pantries also might yield some flooring. Replace the subfloor with the same depth of plywood. Check the floor joist for rot, too. Good luck!