Should we sand and finish 45 year old wood floor or cover with new ?

+5
So many options but I love the look of wood, perfer bamboo over the old parkay.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 16, 2017
    way the cost difference

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 16, 2017
    This is really a personal choice, I think. But you should know that parquet floors are on their way back in. There is much more craftsmanship involved in the parquet floors. Another factor to consider is the condition of the old floors. If you really want to change it, please don't use laminate unless it is a very good brand. We ended up doing "engineered" floors because ours were all different underneath. The biggest thing we looked for was that there was a cork attached to the new floors and that it was water proof/resistant. If we have a water leak in our kitchen it's not going to ruin the floor like will happen with most laminates. In my opinion, another factor in your decision would be if this home is your "forever" home or if you plan on moving in 5 years - more or less. While this is a personal choice decision, I did find an article that might help you decide. Wishing you the best.

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Dec 16, 2017
    Is the current floor parquet and you're wondering whether to refinish it? If you don't like parquet, change it.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 16, 2017
    If it hasn't been refinished to many times, I love the old wood myself, but I also like bamboo floors and recommend them to my clients with large dogs with strong toenails.... they are very scratch resistant.

• SandyG SandyG on Dec 16, 2017
    If the wood floor is in good condition, other than finish, definitely have it professionally re-finished and go for another 45 years.

• I'm a fan of refinished wood floors. I agree with SandyG, if they're in good shape, refinish them!

• Emily Emily on Dec 16, 2017
    My house has all wood floors, some maple some oak. They are 105 years old. Also some pine floors. We love them

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 17, 2017
    i would refinish...best it will be beautiful