Asked on Nov 13, 2017

What is a good floor material for a house on pier & beams that move?

by Pha30621403
I just purchased a home on pier & beams. I have to rip out the entire bathroom due to subfloor rot. I will need a flooring material that can give ( move) as the house moves a little (+or - 1/4")

  5 answers
  • Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Nov 13, 2017

    A vinyl linoleum, or vinyl planks such as the new Pergo. A free floating floor (not glued down) would be best.

  • Amanda Amanda on Nov 13, 2017

    You can put a cork floor in. That would be pretty flexible.

  • 27524803 27524803 on Nov 13, 2017

    3/4 inch marine plywood would make a good sub-floor, then vinyl or one of the new laminate floors that are made to go in wet areas like bath rooms.. and if you want to use tile on the floor use an "uncoupling" membrane under the tile... it is designed to allow movement from settling with out cracking the tile... mosaic tile sheets (with the smaller tiles will tolerate movement better than larger format tiles.

    The uncoupling membrane is usually orange, with a waffle texture.. and you can find it at most tile stores and home improvement stores .... follow the installation instructions... I believe they also make one that will accommodate in floor heating... which you may want in really cold areas...

  • Susan Latulippe Susan Latulippe on Nov 13, 2017

    I would suggest a floating wood floor. Easy to install and you must leave an open edging that allows the floor to move.

  • Joy Dove Joy Dove on Nov 14, 2017

    I would use cement backer board For sub floor. Water proof and has the strength you need. Then floating floor over that.