How can you divide a planted azalea bush to make another plant?

+6

We have a rather large azalea and want to divide it. Is that possible?

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Feb 04, 2019

I don't think so.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Feb 04, 2019

NO--Azaleas, arborvitae, and laurels are examples of tree-like shrubs. These shrubs are what they are – you can't cut the trunk in half, and if you divide off a clump of roots, it won't sprout a new trunk. Tree-like shrubs can often be propagated by seeds, cuttings, or layering; but can't be increased by division.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Feb 04, 2019

Hi Lee,

It is not an option for this type of plant and Lynn explained it very well. It is a good thought, but just won't work.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Feb 04, 2019

Dig up half of it and just split it and make shure you take a lot of root and re plant

• Kc Kc on Feb 04, 2019

If it is getting too large you can prune it back and root some of those cuttings.

• Mildred Madison Mildred Madison on Feb 05, 2019

If I were you, I would bury a limb of it in the winter and by spring that limb should have roots of it's own. I do that to my bushes that I want a new plant off of. I am a master Gardner and have forgotten most of the stuff I learned. At 83 nothing stays in your head too long. Anyway, this has stuck in my head. It will not hurt to try it.

• Connie Connie on Feb 05, 2019

Mildred's thought is good. A limb will root if buried but you cannot divide an azalea

• Breadlady Breadlady on Feb 05, 2019

It also helps if you can nick the branch a little before you bury it. I also put a rock on top of the area where I buried it to keep it there. Once you see roots, simply cut it away from the mother plant and plant it. It is a slow process but it does eork!

• Tj Tj on Feb 06, 2019

i had azaelas plants if u take lowest to the ground lay a brick on it ,it will root. i have had azaelas cut all the way back to a nub &they came back