What flowering plants grow best in the shade?

+3
I live in South Florida and my front yard faces North. It is shaded most of the day with a little sun in the morning. I would like to add some color to my already green landscaping.

• Ken Ken on Dec 06, 2017
    Most flowering plants want full sun. Hosta is the only one that I can think of that is okay with deep shade and I don't think that they are all that pretty.

I've had luck with Four O'Clocks along my driveway and it only receives a little sun early in the day. Because your yard is unique your best bet is to keep trying annuals (they bloom longer than perennials) until you find something that likes it there. After a couple of seasons of trying different plants and ending in disappointment the Four O'Clocks I remembered from my childhood now reseed themselves. Right plant for the space. All I have to do is weed.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 06, 2017
    Hostas love shade and they come in all sizes and blends of colors from solid green, variegated green, and even blooms of tiny purple, to even yellow and variegated yellow. You can get a great variety, especially in your area because they do so well there. Hope this helps!

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 06, 2017
    Check with your LOCAL nursery... they will have the expertise and knowledge to help you find what your are looking for.

• Annette Barsby Annette Barsby on Dec 07, 2017
    The Four o'clocks look lovely. I have googled that name and found this info. It does say Full sun, but then sometimes you can get away with less as Ken has pointed out.
    I like to go for plants that helps our pollinators, as they are in so much deep trouble, but don't know if these are one of them.