Can I use soil from an old plant again to use for a plant I bought ?

+4
The old plant wasn’t sick just neglected

.

• Gk Gk on Mar 23, 2018
    You can but I think I would choose to use fresh soil. It will give the plant a better start. You can buy small bags of potting soil so you don't have an excess.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 23, 2018
    use some to fill the bottom then add fresh potting soil to re-pot the plant

• Tina Shilling Tina Shilling on Mar 23, 2018
    Yes, you should be able to. You may want to add some plant food, depending on how old the soil is.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Mar 23, 2018
    The old plant will have used certain nutrients from that soil. You can use it if you mix it at least 1/2 & 1/2 old and new soil. But it's best to use new potting soil. Mix the old soil in your outside garden bed.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 23, 2018
    If you also feed the plant, because the goodness would have depleted.......

• Bettie Gordon Bettie Gordon on Mar 23, 2018
    Agreed. Fresh soil gives your plant a better chance. Old soil lacks the needed nutrients that plants thrive on.

• Jan Jan on Mar 23, 2018
    If you want to be completely safe, put the soil in a pan...9 x 12 lasagna pan works well, and heat it in a 200degree oven for 30 minutes. That should kill any nasty microbes waiting to spoil your plants.