How can I get my african violet to bloom

+2
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Dec 25, 2017
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/african-violet/african-violet-care.htm My grandmother had the most amazing AV's, had a south facing window - no direct sun, but good strong light, and always ALWAYS watered from the bottom; would take a small paintbrush and 'dust' the leaves every week; could probably use an electric hairdryer today - set to 'no heat' ...

• M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 25, 2017
    my mom used warmish water which I guess helped the plants think they were in a warmer season? A bit on the top, but mostly watered from the bottom.They also loved being on top of the piano, maybe the music??

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 25, 2017
    Sunlight means a lot to the violet but not too much for too long ... water is the same..do not over water or under water. It took me a while to get mine to bloom. Was beautiful for a while but all at once leaves turned brown and died. I always used a terracotta pot so I could water from the bottom and not worry about getting leaves wet. Good luck...I think I'm in the mood to go buy another and try again. Thanks!

• Rsbailey Rsbailey on Dec 25, 2017
    First buy violets that have one crown. Pinch any suckers off. Get a bag of potting soil labeled for violet and change the soil they came in with that. Plastic pots are the best to use. Use a diluted African violet food to water every time you water. Install a shop light with two florescent tube lights 6 in he's above your violets. Let them get slightly between watering and water from the bottom within 6 weeks they will be bloomi g like crazy . Keep the temp above 68 degrees and use room temp water/ violet food mix. Change the bulbs every 60 days or so. Eventually the violets vet really and need to be cut down and rerooted. Good luck . Hope this works for you.