How to start seeds indoors?

+4

I am looking for economical ways to start several flats of seeds indoors. My house is kept in the low to mid 60's, so I am afraid that the soil would cool off even if I use a heating mat (any ideas for these also welcome). Some of my seed packages say to provide 70-80 degrees. Is there a way to insulate them and provide light at the same time, without breaking my budget?

• Pastor John Pastor John on Jan 31, 2019

I start mine in the basement we’re it is in the upper 60’s with no difficulty. However, I use grow lights purchased inexpensively from Amazon. This is a sure fire way for seed starting for me! Good growing! Pastor John

• Bijous Bijous on Jan 31, 2019

Hi. Start your seeds in a sunny window in cardboard left after the toilet paper is all gone. Then at night put a pan of hot water next to the seedlings until the morning. The sun will be warm through your glass and the water will moisten the air in the evening. And the cardboard will keep the seeds warm. Happy gardening!

• See 1 previous
    • Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on Feb 01, 2019

Here is what they recommend.

1. Cut the toilet paper roll in half
      2. Make four cuts in the roll, 1/3 of the way up
      3. Fold the cut area on the bottom like you would close a box
      4. Fill your new seed pots with a light potting soil, pack it down with your thumbs – it’s that simple

You can also use egg cartons. For a terrarium effect, keeping them warm, try this. Hope these helped.

You might want to find some clear plastic sheet cake trays at the local cash and carry or ask your bakery if you can buy a couple. They would cover the whole set from top to bottom.

• Marissa Lum Myers Marissa Lum Myers on Jan 31, 2019

I do not have a lot of sunny windowsill space. 😥

• Bijous Bijous on Feb 01, 2019

Hi Marissa. Then it looks like the pastor's suggestion is the way to go!

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 01, 2019

If you use a grow light, it will provide some warmth to the seeds. When you plant seeds outside in the spring, the soil isn't really that warm. I plant mine when the soil reaches fifty degrees. It may lengthen the termination time by a few days, but they should come up, no problem. With the heating mat and the grow light, they should come up with no problem. I use the aluminum foil cake pans with the clear cover that you can find at the dollar store and my hubbies used K-cups to put the seeds in and it works really well for germinating seeds.