Potato eyes

+2
For fun, I cut off a russet potato, put them in a little water and they sprouted! If I bring the dirt in and put them in a bucket with 4-6” I’d potting dirt, can I start them now?

• Sure why not? Here is a sweet potato I started last year, I planted in ground and it grew like crazy.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 04, 2018
    Once they start going in the pot, they may grow fairly fast, so make sure you have a larger pot handy to keep it healthy and growing well. They need room to spread the roots to grow the potatoes.

• 27524803 27524803 on Jan 04, 2018
    Remember... potatoes form on the roots.... the pot and dirt should be fairly deep.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 04, 2018
    You need holes in your pot for the soil to drain or any potatoes may rot. Put enough soil in the pot to cover the roots, as the plant grows, keep adding soil to cover the plant all except for the top leaves. when you go to harvest the potatoes, you will have layer upon layer of potatoes. People do this with tires outside, layering the tires up as the potato plant grows.

• Blu9782921 Blu9782921 on Jan 04, 2018
      Thank you so much! I didn’t think about the holes in the bottom of the bucket and know that is very important. Since it’s winter, we have snow so now I know how to handle them indoors until spring. Thanks again!