Should I be covering my shrubs with burlap for the winter

+6
Dogwoods, spirea, boxwoods

• Rowgop (Pam) Rowgop (Pam) on Dec 13, 2017
    What Plants Need Burlap?

Not all plants require protection during the winter. If your climate is mild or if winter weather includes only occasional light frost, your plants may need no protection other than a layer of mulch. However, burlap is handy to have around in the event of an unexpected dip in temperatures.

The need for protection also depends on the type of plant. For example, many perennials are hardy in winter, but even hardy plants may be damaged if they aren’t healthy or if they are planted in soggy, poorly drained soil.

Often, newly planted shrubs and trees benefit from protection for the first one to three winters, but are winter-tolerant once they are well established. Broadleaf evergreen shrubs such as azaleas, camellias, rhododendrons often require covering during extreme cold.

Potted plants, which are more susceptible to cold, may need several layers of burlap to protect the roots.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 13, 2017
    No it is not necessary

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 13, 2017
    We don't in Tennessee

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Dec 13, 2017
    I live on the East coast and we never cover our dogwood and boxwood.

• Amanda Amanda on Dec 13, 2017
    Hello. I don't cover mine. The plants should be tolerant to what ever weather you have. The only way I would is if you get a lot of snow and if they are in the way of snow clean up making it possible for them to get damaged.

• Peter Peter on Dec 14, 2017
    Burlap protectds from wind and dryness... but only to b limit. First, WHERE do you live?? I'm in NJ, and only a few plants in my area are routinely wrapped for winter... None of mine! Temps to zero almost annually.
    A neighbor protects ydrangea and Fig (yes, fig!)... but the fig is a whole other process..

• Terri Terri on Dec 28, 2017
    i live upstate NY near Syracuse.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 28, 2017
    We don't and they do fine in our part of East Tennessee

• Southwestgal Southwestgal on Dec 28, 2017
    you should not have to