Convert "GARDEN TUB" into indoor planter?

+2
My oversized garden tub in the master bathroom is completely wasted space. I want to try turning it into a green space with potted plants and maybe a water feature like a small fountain or waterfall. ....???? Any suggestions, ideas, feedback? Thanks!

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 01, 2018
    If you aren't planning on selling your home, I guess it could be set-up like any other planter (you won't want to clog the plumbing with dirt). Had you thought about removing the oversized tub and putting a regular size tub in and maybe creating a small dressing area?

• Judy Judy on Jan 01, 2018
    First of all, you may want to have this lifted and put cement blocks under it, so you won't break your back, as you work inside the tub. Then, put mulch on the bottom, and then dead leaves, and then soil. Then you can mist with water, and then plant fresh plants, giving them an area apart, so they will have room to grow. Do NOT put them too close together, for they need room also, to expand. Best wishes, and I water mine every week, but if this is going to be outside in the sun, you may have to water daily, because of the deadly heat in the summer. Best wishes, J.

• Cindy Cindy on Jan 01, 2018
    Is there a tub in this same bathroom? If so, you could try your hand at tropical plants. They love moisture and steam will provide it.

• Judy Judy on Jan 01, 2018
    Grace, one more thought. . you may want to put gravel, of med/large stones away from the drain . . leaving this area open. . for drainage. Just for safety, in case you do have to get to the drain, to clean out stones, or trash. Just be wise, and use this wisely, for your safety, ok? This move of wisdom, can save you lots of money, vs a drain that you may plug up from bark in the soil. Thank you for reading this carefully, do write again, and we will help you with more questions, let us know your results, Enjoy your new year, J.

• I like your idea! I also like Cynthia's too. I can see a couple cute plant stands and a bunch of plants - just make sure you are careful not to clog your drain with soil. A water feature would be fun too, it is your house, do what you like!