Has anyone dealt with horse hair walls, can't afford sheet rock

All the walls in this 1929 Cape have horse hair plaster walls that are uneven. I have painted one of the rooms but the walls are uneven. I really can't afford to sheet rock the whole house. Any suggestions?
  9 answers
  • Theresa Brown Theresa Brown on Mar 17, 2014
    I helped a friend in an old house with this problem. We took a couple of buckets of dry wall compound and a wide putty knife and made the walls look like stucco. Works great if are into country, or old world style. Practice on a piece of drywall or wood first until you get the technique you like going. Also, it works best if it's all done by 1 person as it will look more uniform.

    • Lynn Lynn on Mar 17, 2014
      @Theresa Brown That's a great idea because I do like old world style, but your arms must have been dead when you through! Thank's for the idea

  • Val Pieroni Val Pieroni on Mar 17, 2014
    Years ago I did some plaster on a wall ...put it on with a trowel and then take a stiff broom and swipe it then lightly go over it with the trowel again....very Tuscany , but practice on a cardboard box first.

  • Lynn Lynn on Mar 19, 2014
    Wow that is a great idea,did you paint the walls with 2 different colors?

  • Val Pieroni Val Pieroni on Mar 20, 2014
    Yes you could, two different shades of the same color would be good.

  • LeeAnn Gerleman LeeAnn Gerleman on Feb 14, 2015
    I don't know about horsehair, but I do have all plaster walls (1936 Craftsman). I know the previous owner used some dry wall compound and scraped it over a few of the damaged walls. I found that the shinier the paint, the more it stands out, so I use a flat paint or a satin. Other than that, I just assume my home looks like a 1936 house that has been updated.

  • Susan Bechamp Susan Bechamp on Jun 03, 2015
    Google "Venetian Plaster" there is a You Tube video that explains how to do it. Basically, it's an old world technique of applying colored plaster to the walls to simulate stone or marble finishes. Done in natural earth tones it looks fantastic. I used it on the kitchen walls and main hallway in the last house we had. With this technique it doesn't require perfectly level walls and ceiling to look good.

  • Margaret Margaret on Aug 31, 2015
    There is a wallpaper that is used to cover uneven walls. It is heavy and white and paint able. Some is textured, //www.grahambrown.com/us/wallpaper/by-brand/superfresco-paintable. This is more expensive but making your wall textured with plaster to cover uneven walls will need to be dealt with someday.

  • Sara Glenn Sara Glenn on Jan 01, 2016
    after seeing all the pictures of the paper bag floors I've been thinking of doing the same thing on a rough wall I have.

  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Jan 20, 2016
    I'd like to suggest "sand" paint. There is a sand product sold at hardware stores that you can add to your paint creating a wonderful texture on your walls. I wouldn't worry about uneven walls, embrace the new look you will be creating. Best of luck.