HELP! Mobile home problem!

+3
I have a mobile home (1970-80) all wood throughout and beige carpet. The kitchen has that ugly brown and orange panels. I hate it! What can I do that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to brighten it up, all rooms and how do I replace the kitchen panels (Not wallpapered)?

• Liz Sanders Duren Liz Sanders Duren on Dec 29, 2017
    Are the panels paintable? Many paints now stick to plastic and other surfaces.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Dec 29, 2017
    Paint is your friend. Anything can be painted with the proper prep. Use liquid sandpaper to make the surface tacky. Then follow with the appropriate primer. Your paint store can help you with this. Then paint. Use eggshell or satin paint for walls. It’s prettier than flat and more washable. It works in all areas-including bathroom & kitchens. Use semi-gloss on kitchen and bath cabinets. Don’t skimp on quality primer and paint. This is key for good, long-lasting results. Choose a light neutral for your walls—white or pale gray and white for kitchen cabinets to brighten things up. Use soft neutrals in bedding, pillows, etc. Slipcovers can cover up old or dark upholstery and paint can change dark wooden furniture. Chalk paint is super easy for furniture, but not good for cabinetry because it doesn’t wash well. Carpet can be ripped out and replaced with peel and stick vinyl if your subfloors are smooth. Peel and stick is inexpensive and easy for DIYers. It comes in many patterns. You can also get vinyl peel and stick strips that look like hardwood. This put down with an area rug in the living area would be gorgeous.

• Nancy Wilson Nancy Wilson on Dec 29, 2017
    I concur! I had a 73 mobile home with the ugliest paneling and carpet. I tore up the carpet to replace it with laminate flooring (the least expensive and most effective) and painted the paneling. Take down the old curtain rods and put up new ones that are modern and suitable to the decor you want. Until you can replace them, kitchen backsplash and counters can be covered with a good contact paper. You could have that place looking great in a weekend.

• Sandra D Coble Sandra D Coble on Dec 30, 2017
    Thank you

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Dec 30, 2017
    Paint as much as you can but be sure to caulk all seams that don't meet tightly. Also, I don't recommend flat paint as it will look cheap (personal experience) lol! Also I don't recommend white but try some pastel color.