How can I remove the plastic type finish on my kitchen cupboard,

by Lad8536171

These cupboards have a plastic type finish and it is staring to peal off and I wondered if you could use heat to remove it and them paint them

  4 answers
  • Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Sep 08, 2018

    Not really, but you can buy new doors the same size.

  • Chuckwarf85 Chuckwarf85 on Sep 08, 2018

    I assume you are talking about a laminate. Start in a corner and apply heat. Personally, I use a butane torch and have good results. If you don't have a controlled torch, you can use a long handle lighter. The kind you use to start fires and grills. I believe controlling the heat point is important.

    After applying heat work a stiff putty knife under the laminate edge and apply gentle upward pressure. After getting a good.start, continue applying heat around the edges of glued area.

    Some people would just rip away, but by continuing to apply heat, you will leave a much better surface to rework when you are done. Good luck

  • Joanne lueke Joanne lueke on Sep 08, 2018

    Yes you can remove it and using a hairdryer on high heat should soften the glue enough to remove it. It is called Thermofoil cabinets, and they have been widely sold for decades. If the hair dryer doesn't quite do it you can use a heat gun carefully and that will do it. Once off you can sand the surface smooth then prime and paint. Google Thermofoil Cabinets and you will find many articles and how to DIY removal and painting options. Best wishes.

  • William William on Sep 09, 2018

    AHA! Thermofoil over MDF. Here is the best solution.