What can I do it's these 1980's cupboards?

+15
I still want to keep the old cupboards, just need something done to the doors.
q what can i do it s these 1980 s cupboards
  • Annie Annie on Jan 03, 2018
    How about adding some nice hardware (something substantial looking) and painting the bottom wood strip a color. Really easy and cheap. Some people have added trim to slab doors to create a raised panel look.

• Nana Nana on Jan 03, 2018
    in I have these too and want to do something...but what??

• Cindy Cindy on Jan 03, 2018
    Here is an easy step by step process and good information if you go with painting. https://repurposeandupcycle.com/painting-laminate-cabinets-with-no-prep-work/ Also If you dont want to paint and you know someone who is handy with a router you can cut sections of the door and replace with glass chicken wire. Here are more Ideas https://www.pinterest.com/pin/242490761169723338/
    Good luck on whatever you choose!

• Jemnrm Jemnrm on Jan 03, 2018
    You can buy stick on molding at home stores.

• V Smith V Smith on Jan 03, 2018
    If the boxes are wood consider replacing the doors. Paint is always an option. Glue bead board to the front and fill the side profile with Bondo and paint.

• Bijous Bijous on Jan 03, 2018
    Hi, paint the wood and the cabinets (they're melamine). Clean well with a magic sponge and hot water and vinegar. Let completely dry. Use a primer for plastic. You can use the same primer on the wood. Use long handles for a contemporary look.

Or you can just paint the wood and the brown side of the cabinet. Take a door and have the color matched at any paint or hardware store. Good luck.

• Mogie Mogie on Jan 03, 2018
    A fresh coat of paint and new hardware.

• Cheryl Cheryl on Jan 03, 2018

Cheryl Utica, MIJust now

Yes, I am considering that option, thank you.

• Annie Annie on Jan 03, 2018
    Hardware has a huge effect. Also, I hate how crud builds up on cabinets with no handles or knobs!

• Cheryl Cheryl on Jan 03, 2018

• O.shag O.shag on Jan 04, 2018
    Say what you will about these cabinets but they sure last a long time! I simply painted mine several times over the years but never was satisfied for long. So eventually I had trim added to the doors to create a frame of sorts, beadboard panels cut to fit the middle, painted all including the existing trim and handles put on. Also had the beadboard put on the ends of cabinets which were visible. Changed the whole look. The beadboard comes in large pre primed panels at home improvement stores, about $20 a panel. Used 4 or 5 for entire kitchen. Also did the drawers.

• Gracie Gracie on Jan 04, 2018
    I had the same cabinets in my laundry room. I painted them black and added hardware and they look great.

• Zane Zane on Jan 04, 2018
    I have the same cabinets and I just redid them about 4 mos. ago

• Zane Zane on Jan 04, 2018
    Not sure if this loads

• Zane Zane on Jan 04, 2018
    Am going to put molding on the others at some point..

• Colmak Colmak on Jan 07, 2018
    I had those cabinets in my last house. I pulled them all out, primed and painted them all white and rehung them as soon as I moved in. And rehung them. Then 8 years later,I remodeled, and I replaced them all with new.