Where to start with my kitchen makeover?

+8
Hi all! What do I start with in my kitchen makeover? My plan is to replace the counter tops, paint the cabinets and add a new sink, faucet and backsplash. What should come first?
  • Just Retired Just Retired on Jun 21, 2017
    First I would take all the cabinet doors off and prepare them for painting be sure to clean them well with a degreaser or paint won't want to stick. Then I would put them back up with the new hardware. At that point I would evaluate what type of counter top I want granit what ever. Then once I'm absolutely sure what your counter is to be I would think about what kind of sink over mount or under mount. Your best bet is to go to kitchen showrooms to look at a variety of setups the have there to get ideas. But most important step is the cabinets as it will set the tone for the rest

• Before I start anything like this, I visit as many showrooms as I can to get ideas that "grab" me. Since you said you want to paint the cabinets, are you planning to take them out and then move them back in or paint in place? My niece took all of hers out, had to degrease (heavy grease set in by previous owners) then put them all back. Once she saw how great it looked, it was easier to pick the counter tops, backsplash and flooring. Since cabinets are so prominent, I would suggest you start there.

• Elizabeth Dion Elizabeth Dion on Jun 21, 2017
    Replace the sink, faucet and countertop first. Paint your cabinets and save the tiling of the backspash for last.

• Twyla J Boyer Twyla J Boyer on Jun 21, 2017
    Pull off the old countertops. While they're gone, paint the cabinets and add the backsplash. Then replace the countertops and add the new sink and faucet. It means you live with a torn up kitchen a little longer, but it also means the cabinets will be easier to paint and the backsplash easier to install without the counterops in place. The sink and faucet being replaced when new counters are installed just makes sense.

• Dfm Dfm on Jun 21, 2017
    start with the top and work your way down- if paint drops on the old counter no big deal. the new counter much bigger deal.

• Sunny C Sunny C on Jun 21, 2017
    Hello Ursula; If I were redoing my kitchen, I would start by repainting my cabinets.
    Sometimes, all that is needed is just a bit of paint and everything looks completely different.
    Trust you instincts, and play with colors that you like!
    See how things look after trying to paint just the cabinets, then slowly work from there.
    I hope that this helps you! Take Care.

• Ursula Wright Ursula Wright on Jun 21, 2017
    Thanks so much!

• Adam Eng Adam Eng on Jun 22, 2017
    i would start with what your end result is.. are you going to do piece by piece ? but are you going to do a total makeover with new cabinets, tile, paint , etc? if so you want to go in a certain order so your not paying more than once to redo something etc