Asked on Jul 29, 2018

How do I fill a small gap between brick wall of fireplace &wall?

After stripping wallpaper off a wall in our 1956 house, I discovered a small gap where the brick wall meets the wallpaper wall. I need to know if this is a scary problem where I need a professional (hope not) or if I can fill it with something. Some places I can stick a small,screw driver about 1\2”. It could have been this way for 30 years but was covered up. Thanks for your input.

  8 answers
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Jul 29, 2018

    Without a pic I can't tell you if it's a "scary problem" but after 30 years, I wouldn't think so. Get a can of "great stuff gap filler foam" and spray it in but don't spray a ton - it expands a LOT! Once it's dry, you can use a blade or kitchen knife to cut away any that has expanded beyond the gap.

    You can get it at Walmart, Homey Depot, etc.

    Now, I haven't used the gap filler so don't know how much this expands. The original expands a lot but you'll be able to tell once you start. Once you've trimmed, etc. you can paint right over it!

    • Linda Diggins Moreland Linda Diggins Moreland on Jul 29, 2018

      Thanks for the idea. I’ve seen it used on door sills and around a fryer vent. And it does foam a lot. The link,says it is cream colored though, maybe it comes in clear. The gap is probably only 1/4” wide. What do you think of clear caulk.can it be used on wood and brick? Thanks so much for the idea.

  • Emily Emily on Jul 29, 2018

    I would probably (well o.k. I would get my husband to do it!) just fill this in with a piece of quarter round or cove molding.

    • Linda Diggins Moreland Linda Diggins Moreland on Jul 29, 2018

      Thanks. I’ve thought of that to cover paint that got on the bricks from previous paint jobs. My husband passed away a while back, he wasn’t too,enthused about the idea, I wouldnt know how to get it to stay up.that would take care of both problems. I’ll,keep that in mind.

  • Debbie Debbie on Jul 29, 2018

    I would use caulk. You can then run your finger over it to make it smooth and fill in totally.

  • Edie Edie on Jul 29, 2018

    If you use a flat strip of can buy strips that are about 1/8 inch x 1 1/4 inch x 8ft. This length is long enough in some homes to do one side of fireplace with just one piece. It is wide enough that a thin line of construction glue will hold it to the wall. Might even find something a little trimmer in fake wood strip that you might not even need to paint. Easy peasy!

  • Kim Kim on Jul 29, 2018

    I had that exact same problem! We used an open cell spray foam to fill the gaps. Closed cell expands to much and can cause damage. Once you’re all foamed in, you can cover the gap with Liquid nails and Quarter round.

    I hope that helps


  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Apr 05, 2023

    I would put wood strip in there and glue it in there.

  • Deb K Deb K on Apr 07, 2023

    Hi Linda, you can pick up a piece of molding or baseboard, cut it to length and cover that gap.

  • Mogie Mogie on Apr 13, 2023

    Caulking would be an easy and inexpensive fix. Is cualking available in differnet colors?