How do you replace florescent ceiling lights


The lighting in my kitchen is by 2 ceiling florescent lights. One of them no longer works and the other only works when it wants to. What kind of lights can I replace them with that would give me good lighting in my kitchen.

  4 answers
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jul 11, 2018

    You may have to change the ballast. You need someone with know-how to help you with this

    • Jamie Jamie on Jul 17, 2018

      I think I will have to give the ballast a try. If that doesn't work, maybe I will just pull them out and put in track lights.

  • Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Jul 11, 2018

    Jamie Hi, Skip the florescent, their becoming obsolete. Try a ceiling fan with lights. If you have a big kitchen, get 2.

    • Jamie Jamie on Jul 17, 2018

      That is really what I would like to do, however, the fluorescent lights are recessed into the ceiling. I have two separate four foot long lights. I do not know what I would do with the empty rectangles in the ceiling.

  • Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Jul 17, 2018

    Hi Jamie, Start by finding a carpenter to put sheetrock over the rectangles, disconnect the florescent lights. Once the carpenter covers the area, and tapes it so the lines from the sheetrock don't show, then it needs to be painted. You can paint this yourself with a roller attached to a broom handle, it screws right in. Take the broon part off. Next, call an electrician to put the fans up, if that's what you want to do. Good Luck!

  • Jamie Jamie on Jul 17, 2018

    Thank you.