I want to have a nice vegetable garden but don't know how to start.

+6
  • This link will help you get started! I suggest purchasing plants to start with and experiment with seeds until you get the hang of it. Such a relaxing and fun activity!

• Susan Susan on Jun 20, 2017
    and remember a garden is WORK - weeding, watering-debugging- etc. you might want to start in POTS and just a couple of plants (one tomato plant could yield more than 20 fruits! (and yeah tomatoes are FRUIT!) Corn is a bit tricky with the special bug problems... potatoes need DEEP soil, Carrots also... on and on - GOOD LUCK

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 20, 2017
    Decide on what you want to have in your first garden and try to draw out a plan so you know how big it needs to be. You can always expand it as you get more comfortable with the plants and there care. Start with veggies that you know will get eaten or you know someone who will eat them, like a relative or close friend. Make your first garden an experimental thing and like all of us will admit, failure or boo boos will be there until you get more experience and are comfortable with what you are doing, and it will happen even after that. If you have any other questions, there are many here at Hometalk that will let you pick their brains to answer your questions or concerns. Good luck with your first veggie garden!

• Pegg77 Pegg77 on Jun 20, 2017
    Tomatoes and squash are easy to grow and lots of sun. Try lettuce and other leafs like isle, etc. once they come up you can harvest the outer leaves while it continues to grow until a hard freeze.

• Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Jun 20, 2017
    I have a small plot (4' X 10') which we delineated with railroad ties on the perimeters. Fill it up with dirt (used a combination of dirt and garden soil). I plant small plants, I do not bother with seeds.

• Rebecca Babbitt Rebecca Babbitt on Jun 20, 2017
    Our County's Extension agent has been invaluable to me and planting a garden. When I was new to this area and didn't know much about the soil the climate Etc she was a real resource.

• Pam Arnold Pam Arnold on Jun 20, 2017
    Thank you 😊

• Dfm Dfm on Jun 20, 2017
    I am going to second the county extension office...there is usually a master gardener on call. They will come out and do soil sampling etc. have a list of what you want to plant...they can make suggestions on soil amendments .

• Melissa Travis Thompson Melissa Travis Thompson on Jun 20, 2017
    Start out with a flower pot garden. Get some potting soil and plant a differnet type of vegetable in each pot. Great for tomatoes, peppers, squash, zucchinI, and vining melons.