Asked on Nov 24, 2017

Is there some way to keep all the neighbors leaves out of our pool?

JoAnn
by JoAnn
+45
Some days I am out in our back yard for up to 6 hours cleaning up leaves from trees that aren't mine.
q is there some way to keep all the neighbors leaves out of our pool
These are some of my neighbors trees.
The above photo and this one are after just one night.
This is how I keep my backyard.
  • Zoe Emiko Zoe Emiko on Nov 24, 2017
    Have you tried talking to your neighbor and asking them to trim their tree so it doesn't hang over your property? If that isn't an option or won't address your problem I would suggest a pool cover.

• See 1 previous
    • Zoe Emiko Zoe Emiko on Nov 26, 2017
      Obviously that wouldn't stop all of them but if the tree is overhanging to a point it becomes a serious nuisance, which if you notice her entire back yard is covered in leaves from her neighbors tree, then it's time for something to be done. I get leaves from my neighbors trees and rake them up but it was really bad when my neighbor had a huge overgrown tree that was so top heavy it leaned mostly into my yard. I got all the trees leaves in my landscaped back yard. If you just have a patch of grass it's no big deal but if you have planters and a pool it's a different story.

• Dana Dana on Nov 24, 2017
    Hire a cute pool boy, there no way unless your neighbor takes the tree away, of course if the limbs on your side of the yard you can have it removed.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 24, 2017
    Put a cover over the surface of your pool when not in use..........

• Aud31614408 Aud31614408 on Nov 24, 2017
    put a cover on your pool

• Colleen Arendt Colleen Arendt on Nov 24, 2017
    We have the same issue.....We use a mesh pool cover. Lets in rain but not the leaves.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Nov 24, 2017
    Get a pool cover! Make sure if you have animals or small children you get a pool alarm if they by chance fall in.

• Janice Myers Sizemore Janice Myers Sizemore on Nov 24, 2017
    the only proven way is to erect a screen over your pool. this will also keep out mosquitos. I don't know if it is possible to do this yourself.

• Elizabeth Elizabeth on Nov 24, 2017
    Wow that’s awful. you’d think the neighbor would cut his tree down. All I know is if the branches are encrroaching beyond your fence you can cut them off. Maybe the neighbor will take the hint after a few times of cutting. Good luck with that.

• A A on Nov 24, 2017
    I sympathize with you but there really is no way to prevent leaves from blowing into your yard unless everyone cuts down their trees. You do have the legal right to trim back any limbs that grow over into your yard, but that won't prevent the leaves from blowing over from the rest of the trees.

We have a pool enclosure that takes care of the leaf problem in that area and we've removed all of the pesky deciduous trees from our property, but I still have tons of leaves from neighborhood trees that blow into and accumulate in my gardens. It takes a lot of work and time to clean them out, but there isn't much I can do about it. Other than the leaves I have no issues with my neighbors and they didn't plant the trees, the developer did. So, I may complain each spring when I'm working, but I'm good with it.

• Odi31540818 Odi31540818 on Nov 24, 2017
    Suggestions are all very good. . . . However, if you are on good terms, ask them to come over for a swim when the pool is heavy with their leaves. . . Just a thought. . . . .

• See 2 previous
    • Basswood Basswood on Nov 27, 2017
      Yeah, that should work, just sayin'.

• Lisa Carr Lisa Carr on Nov 24, 2017
    You can cut ALL of the branches that hang over onto your property. Ask your neighbors if they will do this first and if they refuse, go to town on it. I just trimmed branches in my yard for the same reason - for the first time in a long time NO LEAVES.

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 24, 2017
    What about a pool cover?

• Judy Judy on Nov 25, 2017
    Pray lightening strikes the tree. But look on facebook market place to save money on a pool cover if anyone is getting rid of one.

• Maribel Wilson Maribel Wilson on Nov 26, 2017
    Pools seem to be a magnet for leaves and ducks! All the above suggestions are helpful; however, nothing will actually prevent leaves/dirt from migrating towards a pool of water. As the seasons change, you get less and less or more and more depending on how you look at it. Trees have their benefits...you‘ll just have to chip away at it as a daily dose of exercise until the leaves turn green throughout your neighborhood. Have a rechargeable battery operated leave blower and use it every couple of days as you stroll through the yard and blow them towards a corner behind a bush until you you have time to remove them or allow to decompose. Sometimes, I set the blower on high and encourage the leaves to fall sooner than later but aiming towards the neighbor that just loves to share 😉.

• Colleen Arendt Colleen Arendt on Nov 26, 2017
    i got ours online. I believe it was through pool supplies plus.

• Pat Ruge Pat Ruge on Nov 26, 2017
    I might have a different approach to the problem. I wonder if the the neighbors have any real attachment to the tree, or is it just there because its always been there? If you could suggest cutting down the tree and perhaps even paying half the cost. It might be cheaper than a pool cover or some of the other alternatives and it would be a permanent solution. It could be they hate the tree as much as you do - imagine all the leaves they have to clean up. I have three trees on my property that I would love someone to pay half to cut down. Even if they don't agree, it would indicate to them just how much you dislike having it there while pointing out the real issue with the pool and yard work it causes you.

• Basswood Basswood on Nov 27, 2017
    I agree.

• User User on May 20, 2018
    I find it remarkably sad that many of you value the appearance of the pool and the inconvenience of cleaning the pool over the life of a tree.

:(

• KK KK on May 10, 2021

You find it sad that people prioritize their pool over a tree dropping material into their pool? It is clear that you do NOT have a pool. I spend hours daily cleaning up the mess from their trees. I would gladly cut them down this very instant. Thankfully I think I have the neighbor agreeing to do just that. And, replace with less messy trees.

• Mary Mary on Jul 03, 2018
    Our neighbor has a pool close to our fence so I would imagine leaves from our tree do fall in the pool. But the tree provides a lot of shade and taking it down would heat up our yard.

• Ginny Ginny on Jul 03, 2018
    I think you can legally cut/trim whatever is hanging over your property. I talked to my neighbor about splitting the cost of having a walnut tree trimmed and they said "no" so I told them I was going to have it trimmed on my side of the fence. They did not want to trim it because "they loved it so much." I had the tree trimmed, and it died. If they had cooperated, they would still have their beloved tree.

• See 1 previous
    • Oliva Oliva on Jul 24, 2020

Be careful before trying to deliberately kill the tree. In some areas, you can legally trim, but if you kill the tree, the neighbor can sue for loss of property value, particularly if you installed a pool after knowing the existance/age of your neighbor's tree.

• Ginny Ginny on Jul 09, 2018
    I hired a professional tree company and warned the neighbors ahead that the work was being done. The tree probably died a natural death because the trimmer cut the half that was growing on my side of the yard. I forgot to mention that the tree had grown through the fence that divides my yard from my neighbors so trimming was the only option.

The tree was a walnut tree and dropped black walnuts in casings all over my yard. If you walked on them a tar-like substance got on your shoes, and in those days, I hung my laundry outside to dry and the walnut seeds would drop and hit me on the head - 'seeds' were about 4 - 5.5 inches wide and very heavy so it hurt. Just got sick of the whole deal.

• Cathy Cathy on Apr 13, 2019

I have the same problem, how do you keep the leaves out while your using the pool is the issue. For some reason the leaves fall in the summer into our pool on us.

Some kind of netting with gromets i think i am going to try. We cut as much as we could without killing the tree.

• I love trees and l love our pool. I just put up with vacuuming them up with a petrol vacuumer. But some of the trees have fine seeds and flower filaments that ends up in the pool. The leaf catcher and pool vacuum get these but i am going to try setting up a mesh over the pool when the season for these arrives.

• See 2 previous
    • Oliva Oliva on Jul 24, 2020

Hi, Sabrina,

I like your idea of very tall poles and netting, or even overlapping shade sails (if they could be mounted sufficiently high) to block the tree litter. I don't know if netting ( unless it had a very fine mesh) would contain the bee drop.

Do you have any options through your municipal codes? I know that some areas "grandfather" any existing trees, so home purchasers are cautioned about installing pools or similar, in these areas.

• Nancy Jean Nancy Jean on Jun 17, 2019

I have the same problem with the neighbors giant soft maple tree. It makes me so mad to have it not only drop leaves and debris, it shades my pool until 1 each day. I had to install a heater today and my gutters are full of their trees leaves. I would love to have it removed!!

• Merry Frank Merry Frank on Aug 10, 2019

“Too bad. Act of God. You buy a cover/net. You hire a pool boy.” The onus is on us for someone else’s leaves. Sorry to hear that. My problem is somewhat related to yours. Owned our house 23 years. (We keep our trees neighbor-complaint free.) Our entire once sunny California back yard which includes my little workshop, fruit trees, and a temporarily empty koi pond is now completely covered with shade and leaves from the neighbor’s lone acacia tree that grew enormously in the past two years. I will have legal recourse when my trees die due to lack of light or if I restock my koi pond and the neighbor’s poisonous acacia leaves kill my beautiful innocent koi. Obviously I refuse to let this happen. I do have legal recourse now because that tree’s shade by itself also renders our solar cells that electrify the raccoon deterrence fence around the pond and gee, one of my buildings, useless. I informed my neighbors of my concerns as they are now planning to have that beast trimmed. We shall see. If they don’t make this right, then legally someone else will see to it. I’m 70 and way too old for this crap.

• Sue Sue on Aug 10, 2019

pool cover when you are not using the pool

• Jennell Jennell on Nov 07, 2019

Funny hey I don't have a tree on the place we purchased 1 1/2 years ago and all I do is rake, sweep and clean up after leaves. My back neighbor and one side neighbor can't see why I trim them back to our boundary fence.

The lady to my side has a massive gum that towers over my home and when we have storms it terrifies me. But alas nothing I can do about it.

Funny how it cost us, the people who don't have overgrown trees in our yards. Just had my gutters cleaned out for the second time since moving here, what did the fellow find masses of leaves from the neighbors trees...

Then we have the added cost of having to but a pool cover as well is this fair?

I know I am over it. But that's the price we pay for wanting to keep our yards and home free of debris.

• See 1 previous
    • 49424204 49424204 on Aug 14, 2020

The idea that a yard should be pristine (or I guess debris free) is curious to me. It is the place from which dirt originates, afterall. I guess I think that nature (aka yards) is a beautiful gift that can be appreciated and stewarded. It requires work, yes, but it pays such lovely dividends! Even if you don't agree, I would challenge you to look up what our tree-less developments are doing to our air and water quality, wildlife, our mental health, and the development of our children. A simple Google search might change your perspective! (By the way, did you notice the trees before you bought the house?)

• Ian Ian on Apr 12, 2020

A cheap and good remedy is a pressure washer. Use it to "help" tree discharge loose or dead leaves still holding on. The plus sides: helps tree stay healthy, you control where leaves go, neighbor gets free watering of yard and beautification.

• Ian Ian on Apr 12, 2020

*All? If you cover your expenses out of pocket, all is a pipe dream. You might not see any after remedy..some will always be there..

• Renee Pryor Renee Pryor on Apr 27, 2020

So i have a pool attached to the end of my deck, which collects every leaf and branch from my neighbors tree. I have purchased a shade sail, that is installed at the top of my privacy fence. Its is angled so that any of the leaves or branches will roll down staight back in my neighbors yard. It helps extremely, although it is not a 100% fix, it does the job!

• Realistic Eyeroller Realistic Eyeroller on Jul 24, 2020

It sounds like most of the people here need to move out of neighborhoods where normal everyday happenings you can't control piss you off. Wind blows. If you can't handle it, move somewhere that you can clear 10 acres around a pool (shocker - grass clippings from YOUR yard will still blow in, even when you bag them).

• Sandra Sandra on Feb 27, 2022

I have the same issue . This was just cleaned yesterday and here we are again having to clean the deck and pool. In the fall it’s leaves in the spring it’s pollen. It’s all over our outside furniture which stains the cushions. I have allergies to pollen and I’m out here cleaning it up. It’s not even our Oak tree, they have trimmed it once before for us but the tree trimmers didn’t even trim our side that hangs way over our fence line. The pollen clogs our pool pump and we are spending way to much money on chemicals just to keep the water clean. We use this pool yearly it’s a heated pool. Plus our dog brings all the pollen in the house on her feet so I’m having to clean it up in there.