What's the strongest grass for dogs?

+2
Every winter & spring my boxers make mud paths by running the same patterns on the grass. We put straw down & as it is better than the mud it is still a mess! Most of my yard gets all day sun however the muddy areas are in the shade.
Thank you,
carrie T.

• I had the same problem so I put in a border of bricks and placed landscape fabric. Then purchased enough tumbled pea gravel to cover 2" - 3" thick. I opted for tumbled pea gravel as it is less likely to hurt the dogs paws when walked on. I have everything from a Chihuahua mix to a Great Dane with no problems. And no more muddy paws throughout the house!

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 08, 2017
    Artificial

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 08, 2017
    I would put in artificial turf... and follow the patrol paths your dogs have made... not the path you want them to follow... otherwise your efforts will be wasted... the dogs will go the way they want to go.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 08, 2017
    It may depend on your growing zone. I am in zone 7 with a heavy footed 70# weimaraner that runs like a ( crazy) locomotive and we like the tall turf fescues like rebels. We do gave some bluestone pavers at the base of stairs and doorways to prevent soil or turf abuse.

I might recommend that you have a personal consultation with consideration of your growing zone and soil attributes.
    A great resource that I have used and highly recommend .....is your local Cooperative extension. These offices are manned by a wonderful team of master gardeners that know your local situation quite well. There's also email ( submit a photo) Q&A resources that have helped me many times. Consider googling up your local extensions office.
    Good luck!

• FL FL on Dec 08, 2017
    What a great question! They could use it as a marketing tool!