How to prevent fruit flies?

+9

Please help..I did everything to get rid of the fruit flies, with no avail, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so much

Sam🌺

• April April on Sep 17, 2018

I put out a few small dishes with apple cider vinegar in them. Catches them like crazy.

• Sam🌺 Sam🌺 on Sep 17, 2018

Thank you so much for answering back. I’ll do it immediately as they drive me crazy

Sam🌺

• Judi Judi on Sep 17, 2018

Pour cider vinegar to just cover bottom of jar. Add a drop of dish soap (this will make sure that the fruit flies cannot fly away). Now cover the jar with plastic wrap & poke a few little holes in the top.

• Judi Judi on Sep 17, 2018

I know, me too! I also like that you can hide the jar behind something & you can throw it away later instead of using a bowl that you have to make sure you don't bump & then have to wash later.

• Sam🌺 Sam🌺 on Sep 17, 2018

Thank you Judi for your help, I tried the normal vinegar before but it didn't workout. I'll use from now on the cider vinegar and I'm crossing my fingers that those alliens go away.

Sam🌺

• Karen608 Karen608 on Jul 05, 2016
    Have you tried ammonia, left in sink traps over night? Do you keep all dishes washed up, and don't leave fruit/bananas in the kitchen? Don't mix ammonia and bleach EVER, makes toxic gas. Try a bleach solution in the drain/sink trap. Also look up how to make gnat/fly traps. Best of luck to you.
  • Deb Baleston Deb Baleston on Jul 05, 2016
    As soon as I bring any produce into the house, I immediately give them a diluted vinegar/water bath up to 10 min. then a quick water dip/rinse. Not only is your produce clean and safe to to eat but I never get fruit flies in the house. By the way, I use vinegar to clean ALL surfaces as well. Hope it helps you.
  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Jul 05, 2016
    Interesting.I have used the baking soda vinegar mix and it did work.Did have a lot of them here 6 years ago when I first moved into this townhouse.They were in the drains,in the kitchen,and in the living room.The furnace vents (gas furnace),were infested.Cleaned them out.After cleaning the out put whole moth balls down the vents.Have not had a fruit fly since!
  • RoseAnn Toulson RoseAnn Toulson on Jul 05, 2016
    In "fruit-fly" season, I pour a bit of bleach down every drain in the house and let it stand for a while ... as recommended by a seasoned pest control service person.
  • Barbara C Barbara C on Jul 05, 2016
    Fruit flies are attracted to rotten fruit. Make sure to check fresh fruit and veggies in fruit bowls daily .Can sometimes be found in damp soil around house plants.
  • Michelle Michelle on Jul 05, 2016
    I agree with the remove all fruit. I keep it in the fridge in the warmer months. I live in the south HUGE problem. Boiling water down the drain and removal seems to work. It takes a few times with the boiling water.
    • Niki Burrows Niki Burrows on Jul 06, 2016
      These look bigger than fruit flies, but I had a 3 yr infestation of fruit flies and the only thing that finally worked was pouring the thicker Clorox down the drain. You might try that.