How to get rid of fruit flies in my drain

+30

Bug spray doesn't work.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 05, 2016
    Put all fruit away and set out a bowl of apple cider vinegar.
  • TENITA DEAL TENITA DEAL on Oct 05, 2016
    We had the same problem here. We poured a large cup of clorox down the drain and poured wine in a glass on the counter (covered with saran wrap and punched small holes in it) We did the same thing with melon. The flies loved it. Neighbors tell me the only answer is the old fashioned "fly tape" that hangs. It' a disgusting thought, but I'm told it works.
  • CRank CRank on Oct 05, 2016
    vinegar
  • Haysha S. Haysha S. on Oct 06, 2016
    Hey! Here's a great post about how to get rid of them http://www.hometalk.com/21959026/homemade-fly...
  • Nikki MacPherson Nikki MacPherson on Oct 06, 2016
    Apple cider vinegar and Dish soap. I used a small mason jar and poked holes in the metal top. It looks better than anything else since it needs to be out in the open. Plus I feel it's a seasonal thing so you can reuse them next year! Good luck.
  • Sandy Sandy on Oct 06, 2016
    I add a drop or two of dish wash soap to vinegar...it coats them & they fall to the bottom of the cup. If you use hot water, make sure it is NOT boiling. Too hot water can loosen seals on pipes.
  • Toni Mccall Toni Mccall on Oct 06, 2016
    If you just pour bleach down the drain and leave it all day it should take care of it.
  • Mad11847763 Mad11847763 on Oct 06, 2016
    Run hot water into a sauce pan, add Dawn detergent, so it's nice and frothy. Walk away. You'll be amazed.
  • Deanne Deanne on Oct 06, 2016
    Clean up under the sink opening with bleach. Done
  • Shel Shel on Oct 06, 2016
    Cider vinegar 1/2 c with about 4 drops dish soap in small container near where fruit flys are. The will be attracted get in and die. Dump down sink and make new when needed. For your sink dump about 1/2 c baking soda followed by 1 c white vinegar down drain let sit 30-45 minutes rinse with hot water. This will help keep drains open and also freshen them. Should get rid of fruit flies also.
  • Florence Florence on Oct 06, 2016
    When I start to see these fruit flies, I put a small dessert dish on the counter with vinegar and a few drops of dish soap in it. The vinegar draws them in and the soap makes them sink to the bottom. You will be amazed how many show up in one day.
  • Cindy Carmichael Cindy Carmichael on Oct 06, 2016
    Are you sure they aren't drain flies? They live and breed in the deposits in the drain, along the wall. They are hard to get rid of from what I understand. If you can, get under the sink and remove the trap (bucket for water). Thoroughly clean the trap and drain pipe of the sludge. Replace the pipe using plumbers tape on the threads before assembling.
  • Morgan P Reed Morgan P Reed on Oct 06, 2016
    They are called drain flies. You can get a thick liquid on Amazon to leave in the drains overnight to kill them. They live off the bacteria in the drains.
  • Jean Insell Thomas Jean Insell Thomas on Oct 07, 2016
    I use bleach also but, I clean the sink thoroughly at night then pour about a cup of bleach down the drain and allow to sit all night. I understand the little pests breed in the traps and the bleach kills the whole nest. Works for me!
  • Kaye Hawthorne Kaye Hawthorne on Oct 07, 2016
    Pour some baking soda in each drain, then pour some vinegar in the drain. In a few seconds it will start a foaming/bubbling action...heat several pans of water....take steaming/boiling water pour into drain...this will remove any build up residue in the drain and it even helps prevent clogs. Hope it helps!
  • Lori Brinkworth Lori Brinkworth on Oct 07, 2016
    I hate fruit flies! I had them everywhere in my kitchen when I was doing some fruit canning this fall. I bought some flea and tick spray when I was done canning, as they were all over my compost bin, and sprayed my kitchen counters, putting all appliances away and dishes etc, and didn't my sink. GONE! Hope that helps
  • Melanie Melanie on Oct 11, 2016
    Set out half of a bottle of sweet wine near your sink and leave it there for a few days or a week. The fruit flies go in and they don't come out and eventually die. No chemicals and cheap and easy.
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on May 25, 2018
    Pour some bleach with hot water running in the drain, then do it again every 2-3 days until they are gone. Their eggs will keep laying until you get them all.
  • Niki Burrows Niki Burrows on Aug 20, 2016

I cleaned out the pipes several ways too. I used disposal foamy packets in the disposer. I put Baking soda in the other drain and followed it with vinegar and boiling water. Denture tablets and hot water to make them foam. And finally pure Clorox. I had the fruit flies for three solid years, year round. Have not had one since, but have not had any bananas either. May try some this winter and see what happens. In 45 years I never had a problem, but I redid my kitchen 3 years ago and the pipes under the sink got changed to PVC from metal - not sure if that made the difference. Good luck!

• Heidy Heidy on Sep 07, 2015
    I couldn't believe it but ours were actually coming from our drains! Clorox every few days helped immensely! And scrubbing the garbage disposal with ice and lemons.
  • Kelly-n-Tony Kelly-n-Tony on Nov 19, 2018

50/50 hot water and bleach down the drain! This works for me quite well. Boiling hot water is best. I've had to do this once this year and once last year.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Nov 03, 2018

Fruit flies live in your drains if you have all the fruit put away like in the fridge. I use Simple Green and spray ALL drains daily for a week. That means in all bathroom sinks and showers and tubs as well as any other sinks or drains besides the kitchen drains. After a week you should not see less, Continue daily the squirts in each drain until you do not see any fruit flies. Then spray weekly to keep them gone. I spray my kitchen sinks daily anyway. That is where it starts when they come in on produce you purchase or grow. It can be found in Walmart in concentrate in the auto/boat/camping area or in home improvement stores where they sell soap. I buy the concentrate (one part Simple Green to 8 parts water) but you can buy it in spray bottles too in home improvement stores. I keep a bottle in the kitchen and every bathroom.

• Mary Mary on Nov 08, 2018

They breed at night in sink drains. Just pour a circle of dawn in every sink drain in the house, including bathroom and shower before going to bed. One or two nights of this and they will be gone. My sister had them for months until I told her about this. She was glad it worked so fast. She thought it was odd that she had been seeing them in the bathrooms. Make sense now :)

• Kathy Hord Kathy Hord on Nov 17, 2018

A silly question... Are they in your Bathroom? The look like Fruit Flies ? If this is the case squirt some liquid dish deteregent into your tub/ shower drain. Pour very hot/boiling water into the drain. This will kill the bugs and their eggs. Also do this in your bathroom sink drain. You’d think water going down the drains would kill them. The soap and Very Hot water does the trick. Even if you don’t see them in another bathroom or wash room do the same process there also.

• Christina Thomson Christina Thomson on Jul 05, 2016
    I had fruit flies around the sink when I inadvertently left the compost bin open! I searched on You Tube and found a solution! Take a 2litre empty plastic bottle and cut it about 1/4 way down .Fill 1/2 way up this bottom part with a mixture of dregs of red win or vinegar and a piece of rotting fruit like a strawberry or piece of pear .( no citrus fruit) Then take the upper part minus the lid and invert it on the bottom part. Shake the liquid and let it settle. Keep on draining board near the sink and watch the flies drown themselves! This was VERY successful for me. Hope it works for you. ( I only needed to do this for 3 days and they were gone never to return!)
    • DORLIS DORLIS on Jul 05, 2016
      yOU CAN ALSO VACUMN THEM UP. mAY TAKE A COUPLE OF TIMES, BUT DOES WORK. I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A WEEK AND COULD NOT CLEAN UP BEFORE LEFT THE HOUSE. CAME HOME TO AN INVASION OF FRUIT FLIES. i HAD A TRAP, BUT THERE WERE SO MANY, DECIDED TO TRY THE VACUMN.
  • Sharon Sharon on May 06, 2017
    Use baking soda and vinegar. Pour it down the drain then close the drain for a few minutes. It kills them all from the acid in vinegar and the bubbles it makes.
  • Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Aug 11, 2019

Hi Danka, sorry you have flies in your drain. Hope this will help you. How to Kill Fruit Flies in Drains. Some fruit flies make their home in areas where it's just not practical to place a trap. Examples include shower drains, bathroom sink drains, toilets, etc. To get rid of fruit flies in these areas, pour boiling water (or boiling white vinegar) down drains and toilets.

How to Kill Fruit Flies and Get Rid of Them For Good

https://housewifehowtos.com/clean/how-to-kill-fruit-flies-and-prevent-them-too/

• Heather Heather on Aug 22, 2017
    Pour some bleach in the drain before you go to bed.
  • Jea2688897 Jea2688897 on Jul 25, 2018

For the drains, pour boiling water down them. This will kill them off. Check your bathroom drains also. They like the moisture.

• Pour a half cup of salt, half cup of baking soda, and a cup of vinegar down the drain and let it sit overnight. In the morning, pour a pot of boiling water down the drain.

• Xen4926978 Xen4926978 on Aug 14, 2018

Try vinegar and baking soda down the drain followed up with boiling water

• Patti Nicholas Patti Nicholas on Aug 17, 2018

1/2 cup course salt poured down the drain, 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain. Follow with one cup white vinegar and seal the drain tightly. When the fizzing stops pour 4-8 cups boiling water down the drain. This cleans any buildup in the drain and helps keep it clean and fresh.