Growing catnip and how to keep my cats away

+2
I would like to start growing my own catnip and dry it for my cats. However, the plant is so potent that the cats will destroy the first leave that appears. I don't have a green house. Any ideas?

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Jan 02, 2018
    Make yourself a mini greenhouse ....an aluminiumroasting pan with clear plastic lid, stretch plastic wrap over your container until the plants are established, grow it in a terrarium that you can make a lid for out of wood scraps and vapour barrier or any other thin mil platic

• Lynn Adams Lynn Adams on Jan 02, 2018
    There's an old adage that may help. "If you set it, the cats will get it; if you sow it, the cats won't know it." Meaning, start the plants from seeds, rather than cuttings or seedlings. My cats never bothered my plants and were only interested in the catnip after it was dried. Hope this helps!

• Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on Jan 02, 2018
    Wow Lynn I never heard that one. Very cool. That said if this doesn't work, it's pretty cheap at dollar tree.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 03, 2018
    cats hate citrus

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 03, 2018
      so what I suggest is sprinkling citrus peels around were youwant them to stay out of- good luck!