Help! I have ants in my dishwasher. How did they get there?

+3

I keep seeing one or two ants on my kitchen counter. There is no trail of ants, no obvious place they came in, and they seem to head for the sink. I finally noticed several in the dishwasher. Then I saw even more. How did they get in and how do I get rid of the ants without poisoning my family with bug spray in the dishwasher??

• they are most likely coming up through the holes made for plumbing. I get them in the rainy spring and they start under my kitchen sink. I usually put some ant traps under there (making sure no one in the house, pets or kids, would access) and it seems to work fine.
  • Sue Lilly Sue Lilly on Jun 21, 2017
    Bicarbonate soda on a hot wash
  • KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on Jun 21, 2017
    They could be coming in through the side vent of the dishwaher or the lower kick plate. They are probably getting into the house through the flooring near the dishwasher and they are after the water residue in the sump. When you open your dishwasher's door, look at the bottom of the door and see if there is a small air gap. If there is, then THAT is the way they are getting into the dishwasher :( I found THIS cure by a guy named Neil on a website I was visiting today, and I hope it works for you. Thanks for using Hometalk, and good luck getting rid of ants! :) ..............

" ... get some boric acid powder from Home Depot. [Put] it in a ketchup type squirt bottle or get an empty plastic ketchup type squirt bottle from a store fill it with the boric acid powder. (Do this filling out side your home and do not breath it in as you pour it in it makes dust fly in the air) Then remove the kick plate below the dishwasher to expose the floor under your dishwasher and squirt a lot of it around under the machine on that floor. replace the kick board plate. In a few days there will be no ants FOR EVER! they walk in it and track it back to their nest and the whole colony dies. this is a permanent cure. This boric acid powder will be there forever if not disturbed. ... "
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 21, 2017
    Cinnamon worked wondering for us!
  • Judy Purcell Judy Purcell on Jun 21, 2017
    Sounds wonderful. I will try it.