How can I rid my pet food dishes of ants?

+14

I have no ants in my house EXCEPT for around my pet food dish. I can't keep them out of it. Every time I try to feed my cat I have to remove the dish and wipe out the ants and then wash it out again. They don't bother any other area, none outside either - why can't I get rid of them around the pet food dish? Thank you!

• Patty Patty on Aug 09, 2018

You might try picking up the food dish and washing it as soon as she's thru eating. Don't put it back down till she eats again. If she nibbles all day long,I'd pick it up each times she's done and put it in a resealable bag. Ants will not cross a chalk line for some reason. Maybe you could try drawing a circle around the bowl a few inches away,and see how that works. I saw this work on TV. One or two ants did cross,so that may not work for you. Good luck.

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 09, 2018

Hi Chris: Well, you do have ants somewhere in your house and they hang out waiting for the cat to eat:) First of all, you have to get rid of them. Try this: Make a mix of 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 powdered sugar. Mix well and put around the spots they are in, it's harmless to people and pets. They will take it back to the nest and it should kill them. The mix makes a gas and the ants can't pass gas, so it kills them. Anything else that eats it will just taste the baking soda and say "Yuck" and walk off. It won't hurt anything that can pass gas, so it's completely safe. It helps to know what type of ant you are trying to get rid of, too. Try this site, scrolling down to see the different types of ants and how to deal with them. https://www.thespruce.com/ant-control-4127879

In the mean time, you can put a small amount of vaseline around the bottom edge of the dish, that should trap them. Just endure until they are all gone. Try raising the dish off of the ground with a cake rack or something. Put the powdered sugar/baking soda around where the food is, they should take it back to their nest from there.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Aug 10, 2018

Wash around the area with bleach realy well then put vinagar all around were they are

• Katie Osborn Katie Osborn on Aug 10, 2018

I have an outdoor cat food and water dish. It's got a "moat" built in. We have fire ants, army ants, cutter ants and crazy ants everywhere outside, but they don't go near the outside food because of the moat around it. Maybe you could try something like that? I have a hummingbird feeder with the same setup, and no ants on that one either. So while treating where they're coming from, you might want to try setting the food bowl in a bigger dish of water.

• Betty Betty on Aug 10, 2018

I put the food fish in a bigger dish with water in it. The ants can’t swim so they can’t get to it.

• Betty Betty on Aug 10, 2018

Food dish.

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 12, 2018

Made me smile Betty! :) Food fish - hahaha. I bet the cat would like food fish:) Too cute:)

• Bonnie Bonnie on Aug 11, 2018

I also read where ants won't cross salt. Maybe this will work? 🤗

• Ellen Gregory Ellen Gregory on Aug 11, 2018

Stand the dish is a much bigger shallow dish filled with water. A cake pan or pie plate might work.

• Noreen Schaan Noreen Schaan on Aug 12, 2018

I used a boric acid solution 3tbsp + 3tbsps sugar added to 1/2 cup of boiling water. Cool and use a small cotton ball saturated with this solution. Put the cotton balls in a bottle cap and place where you see ants. They should be completely gone in a few days. This solution is pet safe too. Also clean the bowl area regularly with vinegar and water solution . These 2 trucks worked for me.😊👍

• Brenda William Brenda William on Aug 12, 2018

I add peppermint and lemongrass oils to my regular mop water. So far it has worked for me. Make sure you get along baseboards and around the crevices in the wall as well.

• Noreen Schaan Noreen Schaan on Aug 14, 2018

You can always Google " how can I get rid of ants.. something that is pet safe and affordable". You'll probably find the recipe I gave you. The boric acid works by the ants ingesting the solution and it turns to shards inside which kills them once they know this ( they put off a theramone like other insects and even mice do it too) to say dangerous things happen here. Not safe. It works excellently and the ants are gone for good🙂👍👌

Also I purchased my Boric Acid at my local pharmacy for around $5.00 which is PLENTY. 😊