How can you keep deer and raccoon out of the garden ?

+4
We have a fairly big garden every year we have a huge problem with raccoons in the Cornpatch. We have now seen deer tracks in amongest the garden also.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Jun 22, 2017
    You can spread some flakes of cayenne pepper around to keep the raccoons away. For the deer, blend some irish spring soap in a blender and get sprinkle that around the garden to keep them away.

• Roy Manfredi Roy Manfredi on Jun 22, 2017
    go to a barber shop and get the hair cutting and spread around outside edge this will work for deer not sure about raccoons

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jun 22, 2017
    Fencing is the best for both critters. but deer can jump most so it'd have to be at least 6 feet high. I've seen large gardens totally enclosed including covering the top like a cage due to critters. Running an electric fence wire on top of the fence helps. Also a wire about a foot from the bottom can repel raccoons.
    Talk to your nearest farm supply store. They have loads of ideas as this is pretty common question for them.

• Ellis Ellis on Jun 22, 2017
    A lot of animals don't like Irish Spring soap. Make shavins and hang mesh bags or old stockings filled with it.

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 22, 2017
    Try cayenne pepper or Irish Spring soap - but make sure that you reapply after rain. Good luck!

• Kathy Wells Kathy Wells on Jun 22, 2017
    Long PVC pipes with holes drilled thru them every 2', then string wire thru the holes to go all the way around your garden, securing the PVC pipes to t-posts hammered into the ground for stability and strength. Electrify the wires. One little shock and they won't be back. The fence must be high enough so the deer can't jump over it. Put signs on fence saying ELECTRIC FENCE- STAY CLEAR for people to be aware of.

• Good luck ♥ We've had raccoon visitors during the night in my back yard several times over the years. They would catch the koi in my pond. Now it would be different if they would eat them, but they would just play with them and leave them all over the yard. I've tried animal control in our area, they said they wouldn't help us, but to get a Havahart trap, then release them at least 100 miles away because they travel that and more. An exterminator was way too expensive. Had a trap, tried, could never catch them...tried sardines, marshmallows, tuna, canned cat food and more. I devoured the web for info on how to get them to go. Tried criss crossing fishing line throughout the back yard, raccoon's didn't mind it, the dogs hated it. Lit the backyard up like a runway – didn't phase them, Human hair, human urine, could have cared less about either, Tried "The Scarecrow" motion detector that hooks to the hose and sprays when it senses motion. Raccoon's loved it,Dogs were scared of it and refused to go out during the day even when it was off. Tried coyote urine, didn't phase the coons one bit. Tried little red flashing lights around the perimeter of the yard, raccoon's didn't notice them. Summer came and they stopped coming. We had no birdseed out for the wild birds, no dog food out, nothing. They came back the following winter and brought friends. Tried everything again to no avail. Got up one morning and they were still here! They were usually gone by then. One of my dogs slipped....pushed by me as I was trying to shoo them away. She was a Great Dane....they took her down. Now I love all animals, but don't come to my place and mess with mine. My sons stayed up the following night, shot 2 of them. They haven't been back since. It was horrid, the screams my poor dog let out as they were biting her. Please be careful. I wouldn't attempt to even catch it, You have to pick up that wire cage after all!. They are fierce and will bite. Be careful please.