How do I keep my puppy out of my flower beds, & keep her from digging?

+2
  • Training, training, training . . . It is a dogs instinct to dig. As with everything in your home, be patient and gentle. As soon as the puppy is old enough, sign up for low cost group puppy training at PetSmart or any local pet establishment. Dogs just want to please you and very much like human children it just takes a lot of repetitive enforcement of positive behavior. And a boatload of patience. In no time you will have a well trained pup that will be a pleasure to everyone that meets him / her. Also go to the library and check out books on puppy training and / or watch videos on line. Many of the reputable dog behavior experts give lots of free advice on line. And don't forget to Google! I can find anything on Google! Have fun, enjoy the playful puppytime - they grow so suickly!

• Jim howard Jim howard on Apr 17, 2017
    While you're waiting for the training to kick in (and your plants to recover), mix water and juice from a jar of jalapenos, and spay wherever you don't want your dog to be.
    The spray lasts a while and is easy to refresh until the training kicks in.

• See 1 previous
    • Darlene Darlene on Apr 18, 2017
      Jim sorry to say this but for the first two years a pup is like a two year old child...hope you like coffee. the " training should Kick in by then.

• Darlene Darlene on Apr 18, 2017
    I am a retired dog trainer. I put up a light thick gauge wire and put stakes to hold up the fence, then I take a few rags and hang them(so I know where the wire is) it works. Also NOT all dogs dig. They dig because they are BORED. Or they need more attention. Hope this helps.

• BabyBoomerSC BabyBoomerSC on Apr 18, 2017
    I'd do a couple of things - spray something to keep her away and put something around it to secure it. You should also Keep re-directing your dog away from the flower beds, but I'd also give her a way to satisfy her need to dig/bury things. Why not install a small raised flower bed and fill it with sand? Your pup can go in there and dig to her heart's content and not disturb anything. My neighbor did this and put it in a far corner of the yard. Her dog only goes there and digs and buries bones and loves it!