How do I keep rabbits from eating my butterfly bushes?

+2
I'm about to plant my third round of butterfly bushes and I can't afford to keep losing them to the bunnies. They eat them down to the ground. Any ideas?
  • Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Jun 05, 2017
    encircle them with a 2 ft piece of hardware wire. Use lawn staples to make sure it's firmly attached to the ground or the bunnies will push it up.

• Ste23936945 Ste23936945 on Jun 05, 2017
    Sprinkle crushed mothballs around it. Had same problem with some of myplants ,it works ! If bush is very smalljust coming up from ground just use a quarter cup around plant ,if it's a full bush i use 2 cups, I put mine around it every week and after a month I stopped using it , no problem any more!!

• Debra Debra on Jun 05, 2017
    This doesn't sound very nice but it works. Gather some cigarette butts and soak in water in a spray bottle, Once water is dark brown it is ready to use. Some people add red pepper. The nicotine is a great insect repellent too.

• Jim Thomas Jim Thomas on Jun 05, 2017
    I use hot spicey seasonings, like cayenne pepper or chili powder.... also I grab extra of the packets of extreme hot Taco Bell sauce and dribble it on and around the base and lower branches... also works for keeping varmints, like racoons , possom and feral cats that like to leave and cover their crap in the soft soil... sprinkle it around the property lines and around my veggie plants in my planting barrels.... do it after the rains end and re-do after unexpected summer rains... Also in pet supplies there's sprays that cats don't much approve either....

• Sylvia Sylvia on Jun 05, 2017
    hang Irish Spring bars in bushes.