What bulbs do squirrels not like?

+6
Every bulb I have planted is found and dug up by silly squirrels!

• Julie Geweke Workman Julie Geweke Workman on Jan 03, 2018
    light bulbs

• Claranne Claranne on Jan 03, 2018
    Try using some hardware cloth over the bulbs after you put them in the ground but before you cover them with dirt. Squirrels will encounter the wire and quit digging.

• Pjo26908388 Pjo26908388 on Jan 03, 2018
    Squirrels love to dig in soil and look for bugs, worms and to burry things like nuts (and bread.) Sometimes they eat bulbs, but mostly just root around in the soil and toss the bulbs out.

Cinnamon sprinkled around, mint essential oil mixed in a spray and applied to the ground or used coffee grounds can help. There are other commercial sprays too, all require some vigilance.

You can use a barrier over your bulbs like screening or garden mesh or another barrier to discourage squirrels. Sometimes I use a bunch of sticks (where the expensive bulbs are planted.) Since it is a squirrels full time job to root around there isn't much that discourages these critters.

I too too have squirrels and bulbs and mainly replant bulbs when dug up. I plant some bulbs every year to compensate for the ones that don't make it.

• William William on Jan 03, 2018
    Love Julie's reply! Made my day! I do exactly what Claranne suggests. I use chicken wire and place it over the bulbs then cover them them with soil.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 03, 2018
    Actually there are some bulbs that squirrels don't like. Below is a link to click that will tell you what they will avoid. Wishing you the best.

• Carol Sutton Carol Sutton on Jan 03, 2018
    Don’t know of any they do the same to my bulbs

• Peter Peter on Jan 04, 2018
    Tulips are quite edible! BUT narcissus (daffodils) and hyacinths are NOT!