What happens to soil when I use vinegar on weeds?

+2
I have read that pouring vinegar on weeds kills them. What does it do to the mineral balance--alkalinity, acidity, ph--of the soil? After the weeds are dead, how could I counter balance the effects of vinegar?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 08, 2017
    Vinegar dissapates rapidly,however you should be mixing it with water. Becareful when using this it will kill everything surrounding it

• Carol Carol on Dec 08, 2017
    I tired of using harsh chemicals to kill weeds, so I tried vinegar - my garden handyman said it looked like I fertilized the weeds. Since the ground underneath is mostly limestone, the vinegar acidified it some, but nothing awful happened - except that it did nothing to kill the weeds. I'm back to the chemicals.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 08, 2017
    Vinegar is an excellent antibacterial and antifungal agent and it basically sterilizes the soil of everything. If you use it, use a paintbrush and put it only on the weed without getting any on the soil. It is possible it will kill anything that it touches. If you put it only on the weed, the possibility of it getting into the soil is much more remote. If it is a large weed, cut it off fairly close to the ground and paint the open cut to get it into the roots quicker. I hope this helps!

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 08, 2017
    White vinegar killed the weeds in my yard. The area filled in just fine with grass. White vinegar is a weak acid like lemon juice or soda. It is an organic substance. 5% white vinegar is 5% acetic acid. The rest is water. Apple cider vinegar is alkaline.

• Keith Widgington Keith Widgington on Dec 09, 2017
    You needn’t worry too much about the vinegar as it will dissipate with the rain. If you’re going to use vinegar try to get the higher percentage rate. Pickering vinigar has a 7% ratio to regular vinegar at 5% solution. You may want to consider mixing some salt to the vinegar as well as a few drops of dish soap. It’s best to appl’y when it’s sunny as that will help the vinegar burn the weed. Vinegar will damage or kill surrounding plants so careful on how app,y it. You may need to apply multiple applications.
    On a side note if you have hydrangeas and would like to have their flowers turn pink to blue/purple vinegar will make that happen. Start as soon as you can add about a cup of vinegar to a large watering can about once a week until you get the results you want then then decreas to 1/4 cup x 10 days or so.