How do I makeover my deck?

All the wood is gone bad. Need to make over.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 28, 2018

Is your frame bad also? What about the pillars? You might want to consider replacing with composite decking.

• Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Aug 29, 2018

There are several ways to build a deck. For ours, we used pier blocks, 4x4 pressure treated posts, 2x6 pressure treated framing (it's a small deck. Larger decks will require 2x8 or 10) and composite decking. The fasteners are critical. Make sure they are structural deck screws for pressure treated wood. Many composite deck boards require 12" on center instead of 16" on center, so plan ahead for the materials you will use.

• If the wood is bad and not structural, you'd have to replace it. But if it's just worn and gray, you can use a deck cleaner, brightener, and a semi-solid stain. I just stripped and restained our deck so you can get a feel for that process here: https://www.flippingtheflip.com/2018/08/the-deck-redux-part-i.html