Has anyone ever dyed a patio umbrella with RIT dye?

+17
faded umbrella...inexpesive fix?
  • Teresa Olson Crow Teresa Olson Crow on Apr 12, 2015
    I wouldn't use RIT dye, I would rather use outdoor paint. I think it would hold up better and I would think that the RIT dye would not dye evenly.

• MarianMokki Robinson MarianMokki Robinson on Apr 12, 2015
    Personally, I believe you would be happier painting your umbrella.

• Diane Ferguson Diane Ferguson on Apr 12, 2015
    The umbrella is fabric...what type of outdoor paint are you suggesting? do you have the name of it?

• Teresa Olson Crow Teresa Olson Crow on Apr 13, 2015
    I just did a quick google search and found this link with some great directions http://anoregoncottage.com/paint-faded-outdoor-umbrella/

• Lou Crabtree Lou Crabtree on Apr 13, 2015
    You are thinking along the right lines but painting is your best answer. Lots of advice and how to dos on Pinterest. I am painting my aery expensive chaise cushion this year due to years of sunlight fading.

• Sandy Tromin Sandy Tromin on Apr 13, 2015
    paint it with regular craft paint add fabric medium to it , in all craft stores

• Donna  Oliphint Donna Oliphint on Apr 13, 2015
    Hancock's has a spray fabric paint.

• Patricia Pfeiffer Patricia Pfeiffer on Apr 13, 2015
    Go to sprayitnew.com. Great spray fabric paint. I sprayed all my outdoor cushions and umbrella and they look like new!

• Bethany Bissell Bethany Bissell on Apr 14, 2015
    Jo Ann's has a good supply of fabric spray paint. I found it easier to have a sponge brush on hand to help spread the paint evenly. The results are incredible! Its worth a try!

• Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Apr 14, 2015
    Had an awning that got cruddy looking. Used outdoor fabric spray paint but the dark stains showed through despite a few coats. HomeTalk responder said prime. I used Zinzer 1-2-3 primer, and sprayed again. Still looks great after surviving the extreme cold of our winters.

• Mimi Haywood Mimi Haywood on May 24, 2015
    Do not use dye it will bleed color every time it rains. Fabric paint or acrylic will work well, I would probably try a spray paint for a smooth application, try on a scrap of canvas and let set outside to test for long time exposure.

• Ardale Ardale on Jul 07, 2016
    I have 3 patio umbrella's which had faded over time leaving them with faded dark and light stripes. I took my unbrella's off their frame's and brought them in to wash them in my washing machine. I just got finished spending hours washing, bleaching with a weak solution of bleach to get any mildew stains off as well as any dirt, bird droppings' etc. that might be hiding on them. Then used Rit Liquid Dye on them in two different washer loads. I dyed one black and the other two I used a drak brown color on. I just wanted to even out and refresh their natural color rather then change the color of them. Well I can tell you the polyester fabric on my umbrella's didn't absorb the dye so I just wasted the better part of a day plus the cost of 4 bottles of dye for nothing. I guess now I'll try painting them all instead since having to buy 3 new umbrella's would be to costly and mine are all in very good condition other then being faded. I just wanted to let you all know not to waste your time and money trying to dye them with Rit Dye.

• See 4 previous
    • Ardale Ardale on Sep 05, 2020

Thanks Britt for your advice on how to get rit dye to hold onto polyester fabric. I felt the same way about painting my umbrellas, thinking they would eventually crack and look ugly. We don't leave our umbrellas open most of the time so they are opened and closed when needed. It's been so long since I tried dying them that I've forgotten now which I used salt or vinegar when trying to dye them. I had heard that you can paint fabric but but I think it would cost me more then what I paid for my umbrellas to paint them but I will keep researching my options. By the way how did your umbrella come out I would like to know how yours did and I may try doing mine again. I just hate giving up entirely on them and buying new umbrellas.

• Dave Dave on Aug 03, 2018

I've tie dye them, come out great, original....

• Britt Britt on Sep 05, 2020

Dave I love that idea!!! The bottom part of my patio umbrella is a dark red/ burgundy - But the top is faded almost white so I am really hoping that I can get some kind of blues to take on the top ....

• Ardale Ardale on Sep 05, 2020

Hey Dave, I too love how your umbrella turned out! What type of fabric is your umbrella made of ?

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 16, 2021

Hello,

You could always use Sharpies and Free Style, or Use Applique, or just cover old cover with new fabric.