How does one space pickets on a porch railing?

+2
  • Dfm Dfm on Dec 11, 2017
    there are usually city codes that need to be met. young children have trapped by railings. a young lad at a day care got his leg caught in them. had to soap up the legs to slide him out. frightened the heck outa him. called the parents to have him checked out at the quik clinic.

• Colleen Swindell Colleen Swindell on Dec 11, 2017
    Not sure. Depends on if you want to place them diagonally, straight or whatever orientation the designer finds pleasing or functional. All in all spacing should be an individual choice, as long as safety is factored into the equation. Didn't quite give a measurement, but I am one of those "out of the box" thinkers. Hope I helped a little. Good luck with your project.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 11, 2017
    Check with your local code officer (they are usually the same person who issues permits, but, check with your municipal office). Here's a link I found to help:

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 11, 2017
    Be sure they are close enough a small child cannot put his head through and get stuck. We have small dogs and had to add a shorter one between the one we had built to keep our dogs from getting out. When you decide the space you want, use a board to space them after the first one so you do not have to measure every single one of them. It goes much faster.