What to do with a built in flower box

+2

I have a built in flower box on my very small front porch. I do not have a green thumb, and I have a lot of plant allergies. Looking for ideas on what will add to the porch, other than flowers or plants. The flower box is cement with brick on the exterior, (the exterior of the house is also brick). Covered porch is approximately 4ft x4ft, cement steps lead to the front door, a window on the house wall. Built in flower box about 3.5 feet off the ground opposite of the window

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 13, 2018
    What kind of light does it get throughout the day. I would go with something that would tolerate the light the area gets, and with lots of allergies perhaps go with something that doesn't flower since the pollen may cause problems. You can also go with artificial, there are a lot out there now that look really realistic. You can even change them as the season changes. I would use gravel or stones to fill the box and plant the artificial in that medium.

• use silk or faux flowers, I see it all the time and some of them look great (some not so much LOL)

• Maybe you could do herbs? If that still bothers your allergies, maybe faux greenery.

• Cindy Cindy on Jul 13, 2018

I agree with above comments. Use artificial plants and greenery. Perhaps something with height in the back and something else that looks like ivy in the front.

• DD DD on Jul 13, 2018
    Sharon I thought of doing seasonal boxes and found this article and thought it was interesting
    maybe a pretty spring painting on wood planks for spring placed in the window box
    Good luck with your project!!