How do I paint the ceiling in my garage?

+3

The garage ceiling is huge. It appears slightly uneven in parts. Has been stained from a once leaking air conditioner in the attic above. I am a short person and am unable to reach the ceiling well even after attaching the pole extenders to my roller brushes. What is the best paint to use? Is there a 'Michaelangelo' style scaffolding way for me to lay on or stilts (I would probly kill myself...lol). I'm just not sure how to begin. Should I even try to level out the apparent uneven parts or can I hide them with paint? Is white the only color choice for a garage that looks 'normal'? I'm at a loss. A professional painter wanted $800-1000 to do it and that is impossible on my budget. Help!

• Pamela Pamela on Jan 31, 2019

Maybe look into renting a sprayer of some kind? Ask Home Depot/Lowe's.

• Suzette Suzette on Jan 31, 2019

Hi Cindy, A garage is typically dark and a white ceiling helps to brighten up the area. I would use kilz primer/paint all in one as it will cover your stains. You may want to try a ladder and extension rod. Or, you can buy scaffolding for around $65 at Harbor Freight!

Good luck!

• Pamela Pamela on Jan 31, 2019

Hi ! First as to how to reach the area...I am short , so I know how hard doing something like this can be ! Easy solution , do you know someone who could do it for you in exchange for a few nice home cooked dinners ? Or some kind of barter deal , house cleaning once a week for a month ??? If not , they make a ladder that has multi positions , including a platform or scaffold position. Check Amazon for luisladders $69 . Also check home depot , they might rent little giant ladders , same type of ladder but more expensive. Now , as for the painting part , get a paint product called kilz , or ask someone in the paint dept. For a stain kill / cover product. Use this first !!! No sense in doing all the work painting and have the stain come through ! After that dries ( you might need a second coat , probably not , if it is just a water stain ) then paint , white is traditionally used for garage ceilings , but not necessary. Things to take into consideration , if you use a color instead of white your garage may seem darker and smaller...If you have several Windows that might not be an issue . If you do craftwork in the garage , having a colored ceiling , won't give you a true sense of colors you might be using on a project . Otherwise , if these don't apply to you , have fun , paint it any color you want !!! Good luck !!!

• You can rent scaffolding. Some tool supply houses will deliver and help you set up for an additional fee. However I would replace the "uneven" parts first. Look for a local handyman to help you out. I found one on Nextdoor.com that charges a flat rate per hour.

• Eleanor Korf Eleanor Korf on Feb 01, 2019

I painted a high ceiling in my house, slanted to 16 feet. I was able to stand on a tall step ladder, moving it when necessary. BUT, here is the catch, I couldn't re-load my roller without climbing down and back up, so I got someone to help me. I did the painting and my helper refilled the roller with paint and handed it to me. Stand on the ladder facing the ladder and work forward of the ladder for safety's sake. With a helper to refill the roller it took a surprisingly short time to get the job done.

• Cindy Rubin Cindy Rubin on Feb 02, 2019

Thank you to you all... Great ideas!!