Cedar Chest to paint or leave as is?

+13
Any ideas on whether to paint this cedar chest or leave the wood as is. It has Asian carvings and metal hardware.
q cedar chest to paint or leave as is
  • Cass Lawrence Cass Lawrence on Dec 31, 2017
    Leave as is

• Nad27971668 Nad27971668 on Dec 31, 2017
    The chest is beautiful why not. Just give it a touch of glamour.rub gold leaf or silver leaf on the carvings whichever matches your metal. It will give it a pop without a full makeover. You can also paint the insert where the carving is in a burgundy color.

• Raven 9751 Raven 9751 on Dec 31, 2017
      Like your idea. Never done gold leaf before. I'll have to research. The burgundy would make the gold leaf carvings stand out. Thanks for your input.

• A A on Dec 31, 2017
    It depends on how you feel about the look of cedar. It's not my favorite wood and I'm not a big fan of the odor. There is a third option; you can stain it a darker color. With the ornate carving, you may want to find out how much it would cost to get it done professionally. This is just me, but I think the legs need to be a big "beefier", if that's a word. Are they original to the piece?

• See 2 previous
    • Raven 9751 Raven 9751 on Jan 02, 2018
      What a great idea for furniture legs. Never would have thought of it. Thanks.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 31, 2017
    That looks like an oriental scene. Is the wood Rosewood? If it is, refinish it to bring out the true color. Rosewood is beautiful, and not that common. There are too many painted things today. Let it stand out and be a conversation piece.

• Raven 9751 Raven 9751 on Dec 31, 2017
      I don't think it is rosewood. Thanks for the info to sand the cedar insides. There is currently no cedar aroma.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 31, 2017
    ETA: Artemis: Cedar chests usually are not cedar on the outside. Just the inside as the scent keeps moths away. it does have to be lightly sanded once in a while to keep the scent.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 31, 2017
    I would leave as is!

• 62q10370829 62q10370829 on Jan 01, 2018
    Does it have a finish on it. If not I would put a clear finish on it. Do not paint. Its to pretty the way it is.

• Jan Jan on Jan 01, 2018
    I'd have it appraised before doing anything to it. If it's not a rarity or antique, try rubbing it with a dark wax to bring up some the details and protect the wood. If it's in a high traffic area, try a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the top for protection. I suggest plexiglass bc the weight and fragility of glass is not conducive to keeping things clean. I move the piece of plexiglass from my 10 person seating rectangular dining room table solo, never have to wait for any brawn to show up to help. Hope this helps. Happy New Year!

• Pat Perdew Pat Perdew on Jan 01, 2018
    Leave it as is. Good cleaning!