How would I paint this night stand to be black?

+6
I received this with scratches and I would like to know what I should use to paint this black again and with a protective coating.
q how would i paint this night stand to be black
  • Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Dec 06, 2017
    I would lightly sand the piece to remove the shiny finish, then paint it with a regular black house paint. It's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like the piece has a gloss finish or a semi-gloss finish, so be sure to get that when choosing your new paint if you want it to have the same look.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 06, 2017
    Hi Janet, I would sand it down smooth (not to get rid of the paint just to make sure its smooth but also to help the paint stick) then use a good primer. On my end tables I actually used gloss black rustoleum - it is expensive but it goes on almost like glue and you don't need to put a poly/sealant over the top of it.

• Emily Emily on Dec 06, 2017
    Yes, the paint itself would be a "protective coating"

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Dec 06, 2017
    to get a brush free finish I would suggest that you spray paint the piece which also gives you more options for finished product.

• Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Dec 06, 2017
    After you sand it down so it is even and smooth, use a gray primer not white! Then I would suggest you use a satin finish instead of a shiny gloss as a satin will not reflect the lights in the room and will give it a classier look as opposed to a cheap piece of furniture that is shiny...will make a big difference!

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Dec 07, 2017
    Sand it and seal it.

• Clök Concept Clök Concept on Dec 07, 2017
    Like the others, I would sand it first. Follow the grain of the wood and use a sanding paper around 120 grit. Then paint it. I really love this paint : Rust-oleum painter's choice. You can choose your color and your finish, it dries fast and last long. I used it for all my doors, my railings and some furnitures.

• Karen Newman Priest Karen Newman Priest on Dec 17, 2017
    I'veseen a lot of chalk paint ideas on this app , look them up cause i seen i few great results

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 05, 2022

Rub down with fine sandpaper. Undercoat with flat black and then use two coats of Satin or Gloss paint.