I want to makeover this. Please help !

+8
q i want to makeover this please help
  • Sandra McIntyre Cramer Sandra McIntyre Cramer on Jun 20, 2017
    Do you have a lighter picture, I honestly cannot see what it is?

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jun 20, 2017
    I'm sorry . The picture is too dark . I can't tell what that is . Can you post a lighter picture please ? I'm so very curious and want to help you .

• Susan Susan on Jun 20, 2017
    I lightened it as well as I could... it appears to be an armoire some sort.

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 20, 2017
    Is that an Armoire or a headboard? You could paint it, or you could strip the stain off and maybe bleach the wood up to a lighter color, and re-stain with a mahogany or cherry finish, or even a pickled wood.
    If its a headboard you could also upholster it by adding foam and covering with fabric, maybe do some nailhead trim to make the curves show up.

• Whs2719461 Whs2719461 on Jun 20, 2017
    Sorry its so dark. I just posted another pic. It is an antique armoire

• Karen E Tirado Karen E Tirado on Jun 20, 2017
    I would clean it with Murphy's Oil first. It may lighten enough that you can get some ideas.
    See what it looks like.
    I see a design on the top of the doors, is it craved into wood or stained/painted on to it?
    If craved you may be able to paint that a contrasting color.
    If painted then you are able to paint armoire a color that will go with your decor.
    Good luck.

I would use Citristrip on it and strip it as much as I could , then polyurethane it a few times , sanding lightly between coats . It looks like a beautiful old piece and the neutral wood would not only lighten up the piece , it would go with any decor .

• Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Jun 20, 2017
    What a beautiful piece of furniture. I'd have it appraised first for its true value. If you are keeping it, clean it with Murphy's Soap and warm water. Let dry. Lightly sand it with 200+ grit sandpaper. Prime it with Kilz2 (water based), let dry, paint with color of your choice. Maybe just a white wash will brighten the piece for you. Enjoy your adventure.

• Laurie Young Laurie Young on Jun 21, 2017
    Sounds like a bad idea but I've used Mr Clean and hot water and a softer scrub brush to clean old wood furniture. Works really well! Just be sure to use a clean rag with just water for a final wipe down. Then I would use a wood oil to put moisture back into the wood.