Im painting an old dresser, for the first time. What kind of paint?

+3
any suggestions on paint types for old furniture would be greatly appreciated!!

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 06, 2017
    Chalk works really well but sooooo many new paints on the market now

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 06, 2017
    Hi there, old furniture has one draw back when painting it and that is the finish that is already on it is usually oil based (sealers and paints) so, if you use a basic acrylic paint that old finish can bleed through and discolor your new paint finish. If you use an oil based primer and paint I've found that this won't happen but the best way to be sure is to just first strip and sand the piece of furniture you're working on, then you can use any kind of paint you like!

• I really like chalk paint too. It's very easy to work with!

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 06, 2017
    I used what they called an "antiquing" kit to do ours over. It still looks great and that was over 50 yrs ago! I used Burnt Orange, which comes out like dark chocolate brown with wood grain showing. It goes on in two colors and the last color is the final color but the underneath one provides the "wood grain" look when it gets done. It is easy (I was a teen) and it turned out beautiful.

• She32002230 She32002230 on Dec 06, 2017
    Thanks for your help! 😀