Ok, need some advice from people who use different finishes

+3
I have a desk I need to redo; its my work desk, so it sees a lot of use; I am going to use a good enamel paint on it; and I want to stick with a good water based finish that will hold up to sliding around a keyboard and battery powered mouse, and the occasional ice water or tea spill so it has to be VERY durable; I HAD wanted to use something like the outdoor mod podge formula; but I have seen, I don't know how many, people advise putting on a more durable top coat of some type; I do need recommendations on which sealer to use that is going to hold up to a lot of use and some abuse.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 26, 2017
    I would definitely not put a mod podge sealer on an item that gets heavy use. You'd be better off with a water-based poly acrylic, if you want something water-based because it won't yellow with age. In all honesty, the best finish, in my opinion would be an epoxy finish, but I no experience to share with you about that. :( Perhaps someone else will answer and give you more help with an epoxy finish. If not, below are a choice of ads, videos and articles about using epoxy. I would suggest once you read all the articles and decide which one to use, you also search for problems with this finish. I tried Super Glaze once and it never cured. THEN I read that a lot of people had that problem. (sigh). Don't let that happen to you. Research the good and the bad or find someone who is very familiar with epoxy finishes. Wishing you the best & Happy New Year.

• Maggie Passaro Maggie Passaro on Dec 26, 2017
    after you get the finish you want, i would put a topper of a sheet of clear plexiglass cut to fit exact the top of your desk, then attach either glueing in each corner, or carefully use drill and drill screw holes, thats a personal preferance. that plexiglass can then ( if attached with screws) can be replaced when its damaged by scratches, but that takes a lot. it comes in different thickness , depending on what you want to spend.

• A water-based sealer may not be the best choice for a heavy-use piece. I used polycrylic on a dining table and had it wear off on the edges. I then refinished the tabletop and used polyurethane.

• Robin Garrett Robin Garrett on Dec 26, 2017
    Ive recently refinished two wood pieces.. One of them being a burnt from a house fire. I love the look and feel of wood that has that certain look. I sanded, stained at 2coats. Then the polymer 2 coats. They look great, and I know they will hold up for years. Any way I will bet that you upgrade your desk within 6 years. Try the stain and polymer.

• John Biermacher John Biermacher on Dec 27, 2017
    I have a dedicate work area so almost always use oil based finishes- they are quite durable and can generally be used over or under other finishes.
    If you can't use oil based polyurethane then I would consider an acrylic that is intended for floors. Intuitively mare durable. Good luck.