Ideas to Update coffee table?

have solid coffee table dark wood with scrolled drawers and 1 pull out drawer. Appears Mediterranean fr 1970s. Thinking of stripping top and painting sides. Ideas?

• Ken Ken on Dec 28, 2017
    That all depends on the construction of the table. The 70s saw the rise of particle board furniture with plastic simulated wood laminate covering.

Assuming that it is solid wood, like pine, you can strip that top. If they used a color varnish it will be much easier to remove than if it was stained then a protective coating used. If you decide to strip the top, have a backup plan like paint in case it does not go well.

• A A on Dec 28, 2017
    tks
    willstrip stain top and then prep sides/ shelves for repaint
    solid wood at least 1 in thickdove edgrd drawer

• Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Dec 28, 2017
    Do you have a picture? I'd do the top, drawers and legs in a darker color, and the body in a lighter color. I did a similar thing as you to a table recently, stripped the top and painted the body and legs. I was really disappointed with how bland it turned out, though your project may be difference since it has the drawers you can use to give it interest. I just ended up with what looked to be a short farm house table